Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

101 - 120 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
To the ignoramus who said you can't get any meat off those small trout. There's folks on here that say the same shit about 12" flounders. You all need to work on your filet skills.

I don'tprefer speckled trout, but the best eaters (specor white) are the 10"-14" variety. They are not near as mushy, less worms and fry up firmer/crisper.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
First...Kudos to the captain of this charter. He is getting great business publicity.

Second...If you devide all of those filets up between 4 men who most likely have families then it really doesn't turn out to be that much meat.

Third...Whoever keeps calling these trout small:doh Have you taken a look at a Pensacola Bay trout lately?

4th...If you want tocomplain about someone keeping to many fish then get mad at theanglerswhacking hundreds of white trout every night around the 3 mile. Is it possible for a family to eat 150lbs of white trout?? I dont know but I also don't care. It's legal and there seem to still be thousands of white trout around that bridge. Is it possible that the people researching and making some of these laws actually know what they are doing?? hmm...

5th... They are perfectly legal and LA marsh holds enough fish for everyone. They have been whacking them like that for years and it keeps getting better everytime i go.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Kim...what can i say...you should have done your homework on speckle trout.

Orion45...good job on your research!

the male speckle trout lives five years. when the male reaches 14" he is in his 4th year of life. What does that mean...when you catch him at 14" there is a good chance he will die very shortly after you release him.

the female lives 10 years and will grow to 36"

once the speck has reached maturity they will reproduce two to three times a year!!!! they will create 2 females per spawning. this results in at least 4 to 6 females added to the resource per year. One spawning female equals six females. Science says if 40% of the total stock spawns every year the fishery will grow. Science takes that in as a factor and adds all the anglers and other predators and that is what tells them how many fish and size each angler can keep. Now i would say that fishing and hunting is a BIG revenue for LA so you can bet they are going to take real good care of their fishery!

there are many males to each female. It does not take 10 males to fertilize 1 female but one male can fertilize 10 females.

now kim you and a couple of others talked about let the small one go and keep the bigger ones. Well that is the reason we are having an issue with specks in our own back yard. You see we can only keep them if they are 15" or bigger...so what we are doing is keeping all the females...now you cannot sustain a fishery if you are catching up all the egg carriers. The sperm is no good if you do not have an egg!

Just so you all know...That is Capt Gene Dugas anglers. Myself and three of my buddies will be fishing with Capt Gene friday and saturday. I sure hope will get 200 specks and 40 redfish!

Oh and as for redfish in LA they put 30 million finger red fish in their water ways every year!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Kim,

I hear and understand what you are trying to say. I have read and re-read your posts.There are some major problems with your logic, and that is why you are getting jumped on in here.

For me, the biggest problem is ASSUMING that the government will always be the way it is right now. Considering the current trends, and the current administration, I expect hunting/fishing to be a "rich-mans sport" in under 30 years. The laws will be so strict, the licenses will be so high, and there will be so many do-gooders in the government that it will be nearlyimpossible for the average joe to go fishing. Only someone with enough money could afford to pay a government employee for a day of "supervised" fishing, which is EXACTLY where I think we are going. A NMFS official standing by to write you up for every gut-hooked fish, every fish too small, and any accidental "by-catch".

Thats right! When we finally get there, you all heard that prediction from me, on PFF, in the year 2009.

Just look around you. The signs of our demise due to "regulation for our own good" is all around us. I am not a big conspiracy theory kind of guy. That is just how this deck is stacked.

For that reason, I think that worrying about how grandchildren will be able to enjoy the same fishing we do now is like worrying how a clydesdale horse is going to pull a hybrid car around a city. Just is not going to happen. As long as it is legal, and the fish are put to good use, I say go for it. I promise that the government is only good for taking stuff away. They never give it back once they take it away, and that means we are all on borrowed time.

Politicians lie. All of them.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Exactly right Wes! I was talking with a few guys today about it. It would be much better on our trout fishery in the Pensacola area if our limits were say 12in to 18in. with 1 over. I personaly believe there are lot's of 12 to 14 inch male trout that need to be harvested out of our bays each year.

As I guide i see it every day. We will catch 25 to 40 trout a morning in the summer and only between 5 and 6 of them will usually be legal. That means for the most part we are harvesting strictly femalesand releasing all the males.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I saw a couple of guides respond to this thread. I have a question for the guides.

When you take charters, do you tell your guests that they can throw back whatever or do you just not mention it and only do it if the angler mentions it? Reason I ask is that when I was little and we started going to La., the guides would just assume that we wanted all the fish and throw everything in the box but after about the second trip we told them we didn't want that much because we could not eat it or give it away so we'd throw some back.

I go to Louisiana multiple times a year and hammer them like the pic in the post that has caused this discussion but I throw back most of them and keep what I want to eat (for the near future, not like for 6 months). Do you get many charters like that or are most of them wanting to take home whatever they catch?

Just wanted to know what most of your guests want.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
this is absolutely not how we want to portray ourselves...bashing other members and reports is not something anyone on this forum should do especially when the people are abiding by the laws and regulations set by the state in which they are fishing.

·
Registered
288 Posts
-=Desperado=- (12/1/2009)
Kim (12/1/2009)If they are wasted that's everyone's business. Historically if you look at our fisheries there is one common denominator. At some point the fishery becomes unsustainable and it forces the closure of that fishery. Look what happened with the drift netters, long liners etc. Ten years ago it was tough to catch a Swordfish, after a closure to long liners for ten years we can now go out and catch one in the daytime!! Virtually every reef species that we target is being regulated out of our coolers a little more every year. Face the facts, we can not expect to take the maximum limits forever and maintain a sustainable marine resource. I love to fish, but as for myself I will only take what I need and the rest I release for the next guy to take a shot at. I don't keep the minimum size fish either if they can be released with a good chance of survival, next year they will be a bigger. All I'm saying is that we should try and be good stewards of our resources.

Kim

if they wanted to take them home and use em for ferterlizer its there business.the law says 25 per person for whatever reason they have.i dont believe in killing blue marlin but if someone correctly measures the fish they are within there rights.this is the worst forum to complain about folks keeping there limits.may i suggest a more user friendly blog to post your complaint

http://blog.peta.org/

lmao. Well said

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's Hopedale, LA. For those that haven't been there, it's a truly amazing fishery. I'm there twice a month and the fish stocks are healthier now than they ever have been. Some of my best friends are charter captains in that area and I can tell you that there are no better stewards for that resource than the guys who rely on it to feed their families.

One question I do have is what the mortality rate is on smaller trout when released. I remember reading something on it done by LSU but I can't find it. The gist of it as I remember it was it's difficult to handle and release smaller fish without damaging them. I'm sure that someone out there is well educated on the subject and would love to hear the science.

This will keep you busy for a while:

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/forum.php?sec=forum&term=&srch_order=modified&catID=17&regID=18

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
celebriduck (12/3/2009)...One question I do have is what the mortality rate is on smaller trout when released. I remember reading something on it done by LSU but I can't find it. The gist of it as I remember it was it's difficult to handle and release smaller fish without damaging them. I'm sure that someone out there is well educated on the subject and would love to hear the science....
From my earlier post on page 2.

How many of the undersized, released speckled trout really survive?
The majority of hook-caught speckled trout survive when released. Louisiana conducted a 18-month study ending in 1995 on the survival of released speckled trout. The survival rate depended on the fishing method. Treble hook artificials had a 97% survival rate, single hook artificials were 91%, treble hook with bait had 83%, and single hook with bait was 74%. The overall average survival rate was 82.5%. Research done in 1984 in Texas showed a survival rate of 73%, and a Georgia study, done in 1990, showed a 63.8% rate.

http://www.destinfishingforum.com/fishingforum/FindPost474578.aspx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kim (11/30/2009)I didn't measure this one and with my uncalibrated eye, I'd say it's over 40". Using big live baits these are caught every day in the East Pass.

Kim
So how do we know you didn't just put this in the back of the truck and haul a$$??? What is the intent of this fisherman? Hmmmm...

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
See how easy it is to get everyone to pay attention to an issue. Present it in a provocative manner and you will get responses, they may not be what you had in mind but you get them. Over 3,000 views on a post and over one hundred responses, some were well reasoned in disagreeing and they also took the time to look for documentation to support their rebuttal. If i wore a hat, it would be off to Orion45 and the others that took the time to give a thoughtful response.

I believe that we are all entitled to our just due under the laws of the land, I believe that we as recreational angles should conduct ourselves as sportsmen/sportswomen, I believe in practicing conservation and I believe that our recreational fishery has entered a period of crisis.

What can we do about it? Pretty simple, right now we can all do one of two things. First we can choose to ignore the whole situation and hope for the best. Second we can choose to band together and present a united front to our elected officials who are supposed to represent us. We basically hired them to help make the government work for us, the people. So why don't we just tell them what we want them to do for us.

What we as recreational anglers want is for NOAA, Gulf Coast Marine Council and the Department of Commerce to adhere to what they are supposed to do by law. They are supposed to manage a sustainable fishery for the Department of Commerce interests and the American public/recreational anglers.

Send them your e-mails and stay on them with it (some of you guys might want to ask Orion45 for a few tips before blasting off that first one) hang into them like a tick on a dog. After a while they might get tired of hearing from us over and over and actually do something to help us, just to keep us quiet.

Kim

·
Registered
943 Posts
I just saw this post and figured I would wade in. I live in Baton Rouge and bought a condo at Pens. Beach last year. I grew up fishing in Cocodrie, Fourchon , and Venice mostly inshore fishing for specks and reds. However I have had a blast learning and fishing in Pensacola over the past two summers. Thanks Capt. Wes for helping me learn the area. Part of my enjoyment has been because of the easy access to go fishing. Back home in La., it is a 2-3 hr. drive to get to a fishing location for most people who actually live in south La. When I am in Pensacola, it is a 15-20 minute drive to a boat ramp. Understand there are no population centers that close to any of these fishing areas. Also, if you have never fished in La., understand we do not have any real beaches or a coast line like you have in Fl. All we have is marsh and whats left of uninhabitable barrier islands [ except for Grand Isle]. The best way I can describe our coastal area is if you go to Mobile towards the tunnel, look to your right -- that is basically what our coast is like all the way from the Miss. state line and around the Miss. River to Texas. It is one big connected marsh nursery and breeding grounds!

I am hoping this will help explain why there is such a difference between the limits. I will admit that La. fishermen are too " limit obsessed ", I used to be one of them. I believe it has something to do with that 4-5 hr. round trip drive to go fishing that I mentioned. Now I am just too lazy to clean all those fish and by 11:00 - 11:30 I am just not mad at 'em any more !

Let me also add that the limits in La. just a few years ago was 50 specks with no limit on the number of redfish then it went to 10 and now 5. I agree with the guides and there comments on the catching/keeping too many female trout in Florida. I would like to see a 12- 13" min. size with one over to help solve this.

Most of my fishing is now in Pens. because this where I am on most weekends and it is so convenient. But if I really want to go catch a lot of specks and reds, I will be in Louisiana.

Now for a REAL controversy, let's compare LSU tailgating to U of F !!!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
I find this thread very ironic. Were we have a poster so concerned as to how WE should portray OURSELVES but will portray himself as one whom speaks out of the side of his mouth... I feel Kim should be more concerned as to how he portrays himself to others...to me anyways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting mix of opinions in the forum. I have have spent my life hunting and fishing around the Southeast. I have traveled to Arkansas to hunt ducks. When I was there, I shot my limit. If you look at the picture of the people posing with the ducks, it looks like I killed 21 ducks. Not quite, I shot my limit. I participated withing the letter of the law but maximized my travel experience. The picture was not captioned to say how many people were involved, how far they traveled or how much they spent for this experience. When I go to Georgia to hunt quail. I also shoot my limit. If I am deer hunting in Mississippi, I don't pass up the 10 point deer just because a 4 point may have enough meat. We have no idea who, how many or for what purpose these fish were caught. If, however, they were within the law, these guys had a great trip and as fellow sportsmen we should share in their success.

Most of all, I would like to agree with the spirit of the initial posts. This forum, and all others like it, should be for fellowship and the sharing of ideas. It should make our sport better. It should not be an online forum gossipy school girls (I will admit I have enjoyed some of the cat fights). Everyone has a right to their own opinion but why not take inventory of that opinion before you post. Is it positive for the forum or is sarcasm being petty jealousy's little friend.

My two cents. Sometimes we may just have to agree to disagree

101 - 120 of 175 Posts