Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
BullBoxer (12/2/2009)Look, I eat fish a lot but can we please get over the whole "they were doing this to feed their families" thing.

Charters cost in the ballpark of $700 plus plus tip plus lodging plus gas to drive down there. Acting like these people are so poor they can't get food and are keeping all these fish to feed themselves and their families is a joke. You can get the same amount of meat in bubba burgers or hot dogs from the grocery store for nothing compared to the cost of going and catching fish. If you can go pay for a charter, you can feed your family. Its not like they are starving and their only source of food is small ass Louisiana trout.
If you're responding to my post, that wasn't the point. The point is many people are saying the fish are going to be wasted. They don't know that. We caught, froze, thawed, and ate plenty of specks when I was a kid.

No one here said they couldn't feed their families without these fish. As you pointed out, that would be a rediculous assumption, since guides aren't cheap.

My point was "don't claim to know these fish will be wasted." That's all.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
OK, lets look at this from a REAL point of view, ok with some sarcasm thrown in. This is over the 100 TROUT correct? It has been stated that these were SMALL trout. SO... How many small trout does it take to make a pound of fillets. Lets say 4. That's 25 lb of filleted trout.

4 people married with 2, no lets say 4 kids apiece becasue they are inbreed cajuns. After all they must be to keep that many trout correct? Plus we all know that cajuns are 1st cousins of us ALABAMA rednecks, so 4 kids per family. After all we are assuming alot of this crap, correct?

so 4 husbands, 4 wifes, and 16 kids = 24 people. That is just over 1 lb apiece for diner. :banghead

As Billy Mays would say: BUT WAIT.......

These are inbreed hillbillys, rednecks or Cajuns. 1 of them HAD, just HAD to have thier girlfriend over also (A.K.A. 1st or 2nd cousin.) That makes 25 people eating 25lb of fish.

I don't know about you but I can eat more then 1 lb of fried fish. :moon

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
BullBoxer (12/2/2009)Look, I eat fish a lot but can we please get over the whole "they were doing this to feed their families" thing.

Charters cost in the ballpark of $700 plus plus tip plus lodging plus gas to drive down there. Acting like these people are so poor they can't get food and are keeping all these fish to feed themselves and their families is a joke. You can get the same amount of meat in bubba burgers or hot dogs from the grocery store for nothing compared to the cost of going and catching fish. If you can go pay for a charter, you can feed your family. Its not like they are starving and their only source of food is small ass Louisiana trout.
You miss the point, it's obvious they don't WANT bubba burgers or hot dogs. The whole family comment is not about money to feed the family, that's an ASSUMPTION YOU made. It's meant to say that just because a couple people catch that many fish it doesn't mean they are going to be the only ones to eat it. They will share with each of their family's and maybe give some to their friends so what is wrong with them taking home the legal limit of fish? I have friends that go to LA a few times a year to catch trout and redfish and guess what, they bring me back some fish every time, nothing wrong with that. The point is if these guys are fishing and taking home a catch that falls within the legal limits of where they are fishing then nobody has the right to complain.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts

So, lets look at this picture:

1) I could be outraged, because here are 2 people that look completely capable to be at work, and yet are not. They are hanging out and chatting instead.

2)perhaps they are terrorists plotting the next 911.

3)maybe they are college kids and getting ready for class.

4)Maybe they are drug dealers and are about to make a sale.

Point is, I don't know. This is a random picture off the net. I don't pass judgement on them because I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE SITUATION IS.........

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
69Viking (12/2/2009)

You miss the point, it's obvious they don't WANT bubba burgers or hot dogs. The whole family comment is not about money to feed the family, that's an ASSUMPTION YOU made. It's meant to say that just because a couple people catch that many fish it doesn't mean they are going to be the only ones to eat it. They will share with each of their family's and maybe give some to their friends so what is wrong with them taking home the legal limit of fish? I have friends that go to LA a few times a year to catch trout and redfish and guess what, they bring me back some fish every time, nothing wrong with that. The point is if these guys are fishing and taking home a catch that falls within the legal limits of where they are fishing then nobody has the right to complain.

Sounds llike what they want you to do is only catch what you are gonna eat THAT NIGHT and then go out and buy it at a store if you want anymore. Problem with that is the commercial guys will have to go out and Catch them SAME DARN FISH for them to eat. :banghead:banghead

1/2 a dozen as the other.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
did i miss something? 4 guys catch a legal limit of fish and we're doggin' 'em for it? where do we get off assuming not every one of these fish will be eaten? and why is that so hard to believe?? 25 fishfor afamily? ever heardof a freezer? they have to bedropped in the grease rightfrom the cleaning table.i'd actually do a fish fry at the house and invite the boys over. and yeah, i'd rather catch a mess of trout with my buddies than go buy bubba burgers. this whole thread is weird for a fishing forum IMO.

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
K-Bill I can explain it.

The weater is horrible and all the cry baby cronic bitchers are depressed and have nothing better to do.:reallycrying Just wait until next week when no one can get out to fish because of the high winds and cold. :banghead:banghead

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
sealark (12/2/2009)K-Bill I can explain it.

The weater is horrible and all the cry baby cronic bitchers are depressed and have nothing better to do.:reallycrying Just wait until next week when no one can get out to fish because of the high winds and cold. :banghead:banghead
LOL... oh ok. carry on then! :letsdrink

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
K-Bill (12/2/2009)did i miss something? 4 guys catch a legal limit of fish and we're doggin' 'em for it? where do we get off assuming not every one of these fish will be eaten? and why is that so hard to believe?? 25 fishfor afamily? ever heardof a freezer? they have to bedropped in the grease rightfrom the cleaning table.i'd actually do a fish fry at the house and invite the boys over. and yeah, i'd rather catch a mess of trout with my buddies than go buy bubba burgers. this whole thread is weird for a fishing forum IMO.
I think most of the people on here agree with you and justcan't understand the madness of this post to begin with. It's like PETA imposters have infiltrated the PFF! :banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
K-Bill (12/2/2009)did i miss something? 4 guys catch a legal limit of fish and we're doggin' 'em for it? where do we get off assuming not every one of these fish will be eaten? and why is that so hard to believe?? 25 fishfor afamily? ever heardof a freezer? they have to bedropped in the grease rightfrom the cleaning table.i'd actually do a fish fry at the house and invite the boys over. and yeah, i'd rather catch a mess of trout with my buddies than go buy bubba burgers. this whole thread is weird for a fishing forum IMO.
Yep you got that right

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Wow, I have a hunch, This may be the last picture from this Capt. for a while?????

I mean, come on, Like someone up in the chain said. "I can only eat a single snapper today" I'll only kill a single snapper even though the limit is two."

These guys probably cleaned every fish there, put them in freezer bags and took them back to Kansas to eat over the winter and next year. They may have been on their only vacation in years, and might be their last vacation for many more years.

Just because "most of us live here" and can go fishin, these guys may have not fished for 10 plus years together.

Think about it. Just a thought......... wow

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Realtor (12/2/2009)

These guys probably cleaned every fish there, put them in freezer bags and took them back to Kansas to eat over the winter and next year. They may have been on their only vacation in years, and might be their last vacation for many more years.

Just because "most of us live here" and can go fishin, these guys may have not fished for 10 plus years together.

Think about it. Just a thought......... wow
X1

They were legal so I don't see any harm. If you are going to get on these guys for being legal, I hate to see you when the others here get their limit......:banghead

·
Registered
100 Posts
Granted many limits and restrictions placed on recreational fishing have been beneficial for the fisheries. But thats not enough!!! Bash'em with what "you" think is right too! Even if they are within their legal rights!

Mike

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Kim (12/1/2009)

This was a inshore charter trip not from our area but it does give a graphic display of wanton desruction. They caught their limit of fish and itlooks like many are on the small end of the scale. How can this be justified? I hope none of it was wasted. Is this the image that we want to give of ourselves as recreational anglers?? I guess it's good advertisement for the inshore charter guy but I still think it is a waste of resources.

Kim[/quote

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I have to say that you guys has banded together and stand united that's great. However it's painfully apparent that few people that have responded care about the future or how we as recreational anglers are perceived. Just because there is a bag limit does not mean you have to catch it. That's where sportsmanship, conservation and unfortunately having to cow tow to a growing non-fishing public opinion.

Sure we can catch out bag limits now and wait for the government to try and fix out messed up fishery until they finally just close it for a number of years so nature can recover. Or we can be proactive, set the example as sportsmen/sportswomen and help keep out fisheries sustainable by taking home what we can use with out waste.

I can take each or the assumptions that most of you have used and spin a totally different story, that's not the point. The point is that we need to present our image as sportsmen and women. With the crisis brewing over our fisheries the last thing we need to do is provide what can be perceived as a negative image of ourselves that can be used against us to further restrict our recreational sport.

I say to you all, stay banded together united but consider the possibility that as a united group you can become proactive as recreational anglers, as sportsmen/sportswomen, support recreational fishing and present ourselves to the American public as such. If you plan on having any kind of decent fishing 10 years from now, it''s time to start doing something positive about it to ensure that it is there for future generations.

Next year when we have 30 day Red Snapper season, a 75 day Amberjack season, perhaps even a 3 Grouper a day bag limit you are not going to be happy about that and neither will I. The difference between us is that the five friends I take fishing I'll ask them to release anything that they are not going to eat so it's not wasted. I believe that tunnel vision, legal bag limits, and not looking at the big picture for the future of recreational fishing has you folks in a quagmire you will plod blindly along until it's too late. Then government regulation will severely restrict your options for recreational fishing and it will be too late for us as recreational anglers to do anything to make the situation better.

What we see here is classic mob mentality. Only a few people showed serious thought and posted specifics which is about the best way to present an opposing view. It's easy to jump on the bandwagon and get into a hatchet fight online. It's a lot harder to say hey, maybe I should think about this and act in a thoughtful manner rather than some mass mob emotion. We have a problem here and it will not go away no matter how much you ignore it, it won't go away.

Kim

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Capt.Eugene (12/2/2009)
...Question here is: Is it morally correct "NO"

Is it legal "YES"

Morally correct? Now that's stretching the point. Nevertheless,assuming your morality argument is valid, what does that say about charter captains and commercial fishermen. Neither could possibly eat all the fish they catch.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Kim (12/2/2009)I have to say that you guys has banded together and stand united that's great. However it's painfully apparent that few people that have responded care about the future or how we as recreational anglers are perceived. Just because there is a bag limit does not mean you have to catch it. That's where sportsmanship, conservation and unfortunately having to cow tow to a growing non-fishing public opinion.

Sure we can catch out bag limits now and wait for the government to try and fix out messed up fishery until they finally just close it for a number of years s nature can recover. Or we can be proactive, set the example as sportsmen and help keep out fisheries sustainable by taking home what we can use with out waste.

I can take each or the assumptions that most of you have used and spin a totally different story, that's not the point. The point is that we need to present our image as sportsmen and women. With the crisis brewing over our fisheries the last thing we need to do is provide what can be perceived as a negative image of ourselves that can be used against us to further restrict our recreational sport.

I say to you all, stay banded together united but consider the possibility that as a united group you can become proactive as recreational anglers, as sportsmen/sportswomen, support recreational fishing and present ourselves to the American public as such. If you plan on having any kind of decent fishing 10 years from now, it''s time to start doing something positive about it to ensure that it is there for future generations.

Next year when we have 30 day Red Snapper season, a 75 day Amberjack season, perhaps even a 3 Grouper a day bag limit you are not going to be happy about that and neither will I. The difference between us is that the five friends I take fishing I'll ask them to release anything that they are not going to eat so it's not wasted. I believe that tunnel vision, legal bag limits, and not looking at the big picture for the future of recreational fishing has you folks in a quagmire you will plod blindly along until it's too late. Then government regulation will severely restrict your options for recreational fishing and it will be too late for us as recreational anglers to do anything to make the situation better.

Kim
Kim, please tell everyone what the correct number of fish to keep is for :

Me

Me and my gf

Me and my gf who want to eat fish all Winter long

My friend Bob and his wife and his 5 kids

My friends who are coming over for a fish fry this weekend

Please oh enlightened supreme majesty, PLEASE PLEASE tell us poor ignorant souls what is the "proper" number of fish to keep in the name of the Oracle who dost call thineself Kim?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Kim (12/2/2009)I have to say that you guys has banded together and stand united that's great. However it's painfully apparent that few people that have responded care about the future or how we as recreational anglers are perceived. Just because there is a bag limit does not mean you have to catch it. That's where sportsmanship, conservation and unfortunately having to cow tow to a growing non-fishing public opinion.

Sure we can catch out bag limits now and wait for the government to try and fix out messed up fishery until they finally just close it for a number of years s nature can recover. Or we can be proactive, set the example as sportsmen and help keep out fisheries sustainable by taking home what we can use with out waste.

Kim
BTW,

I'm glad you dont keep more than you will eat. Guess what Kim? Neither will most anyone on this forum. But guess what else? The number YOU will eat and the number CHOPPEDLIVER will eat is probably NOT the same. So if you keep ONE and I keep ONE HUNDRED, GUESS WHAT? NONE OF THOSE FISH ARE GOING TO WASTE. I made my determination what my needs are, NOT KIM.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Well I Guess Winter has Set In!!! The Guys In the Picture HAVE a LEGAL LIMIT Of Fish from the State They are Fishing out Of !!! So What's The Problem Here:banghead, As Far as We Know They Could Have had a COMPANY COOKOUT!! That Night!!!!!!:doh:doh

81 - 100 of 175 Posts