Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This was a inshore charter trip not from our area but it does give a graphic display of wanton desruction. They caught their limit of fish and itlooks like many are on the small end of the scale. How can this be justified? I hope none of it was wasted. Is this the image that we want to give of ourselves as recreational anglers?? I guess it's good advertisement for the inshore charter guy but I still think it is a waste of resources.

Kim

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
this cant be justified first of all.. it pisses me off how theres sime jerk offs that try to ruin something for everybody :banghead

what could somebody possibly do with this much fish? that is enough to feed an entire neighborhood

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Im goin to guess that in LA. That is doin nothing to the resource over there thousand and thousand of trout are killed by inshore guides everday and its still the best fishery in the world.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
brandon you just jump on whatever bandwagon seems fit at the time huh?If they was within there limits who cares.It looks more than obvious there IS NO SHORTAGE of whatever trash fish they have laying on that table.dry your tears and book your charter with that captian because he can obviously put you on em

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Freespool (12/1/2009)Im goin to guess that in LA. That is doin nothing to the resource over there thousand and thousand of trout are killed by inshore guides everday and its still the best fishery in the world.

Yup. It is amazing, but their fishery can support this.

Us?

We are much more limited in our resources so we can't catch and keep this kind of haul.

Mississippi is much of the same - I grew up there and can remember hauls like this all of the time.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
BigBrandon (12/1/2009)this cant be justified first of all.. it pisses me off how theres sime jerk offs that try to ruin something for everybody :banghead

what could somebody possibly do with this much fish? that is enough to feed an entire neighborhood
Who the hell are you to judge someone if they are within the bag and lenght limits. Do you only keep 1 snapper instead when you can legally keep 2.

·
Registered
726 Posts
good for them guys. you dont know , that may be the only time those guys ever got to saltwater fish and catch trout. if they were legal then quit complaining. would i keep that many ? no , but only cause im not going to clean them. like travis said , thats in LA and they have been doing it for years . once again awesome catch .

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,093 Posts
Freespool (12/1/2009)Im goin to guess that in LA. That is doin nothing to the resource over there thousand and thousand of trout are killed by inshore guides everday and its still the best fishery in the world.
I agree... there are 3 slot reds and a big mess of trout. I don't know if you've ever driven to Venice. It's a HUGE watershed from a huge river (second or third largest in the world I think by water flow).

I would not do it myself, heck I'd limit it to 10 fish a piece, but a limit is a limit is a limit. I have doubts about fish management... I really do, but this is an EXCEPTIONAL fishery. I'm looking forward to someday fish it.

But yeah, sometimes the swinging lever goes too far either way... our Snapper season is certainly too short, and I'd agree their trout limits are too high.

But you gotta see it to believe it...

Jim

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
In Louisiana the legal size limit for trout is 12" and over, the bag limit is 25 per angler per day. Redfish legal size limit is 16" to 28", the bag limit is 5 per angler per day. One can even be over 28".

The resourceCAN handle the recreational fishing. Not every trip results in a limit of fish. A limit of fish is a great day of fishing. That's why they took the pictures.

Stop being such cry babies and assholes about it!

And YES, we can eat that much fish! Get over it and eat your mullet!!! :sick

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Used to live in Buras, La just before Venice and I've done that numerous times. I can think of a ton of reasons to keep that many fish. Big family, family reunion, office fish fry, block party, Saints win the Superbowl, aunt sally's funeral, like to fry fish weekly but can't fish weekly, etc...etc... If it is legal you and I have no right to throw them under the bus.

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
i sure love how i voice my opinion and get flammed by several people within 10 minutes.. its my opinion and nothings gona change that

will i thought we got civil for a while but i guess you cant keep going on a straight path for too long can ya?

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
BigBrandon (12/1/2009)i sure love how i voice my opinion and get flammed by several people within 10 minutes.. its my opinion and nothings gona change that

will i thought we got civil for a while but i guess you cant keep going on a straight path for too long can ya?
Your going to call these guys "Jerk Offs" when they are within their RIGHTS and your going to complain because its not civil.

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
BigBrandon (12/1/2009)i sure love how i voice my opinion and get flammed by several people within 10 minutes.. its my opinion and nothings gona change that

Damn, Brandonyesterday you were inquiring on how to get a commercial license.:doh:doh

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Wasn't my intention to flame...just answering your question

"what could somebody possibly do with this much fish? that is enough to feed an entire neighborhood"

to explain why the guys may not be "jerk offs that try to ruin something for everybody"

You can have an opinion, sail on.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts

never realized i was on a "right path"toned down yes but im still me.Your opinions here are alot like others.they seem to follow suit or go with the flow of what the rest of the class is doing.grow a set and be yourself

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

Youc an voice your opinion all you want and doesnt mean its right. Beofore you go flaming someone for keeping fish within their limits maybe you should know a littel bit about the resource its coming from. Have you trout fished in louisiana? Its no big deal to go catch 100 or more fish in a morning

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I don't understand how these rec fishermen's intent is questioned. People ask "what could they possibly do with that amount of fish?" or "That could feed an entire neighborhood!" Of couse it can, and it just might. Maybe someone wants to have a fish fry to celebrate something, or a memorial type thing, or whatever the heck they choose. They're within the legal limits to keep that much fish, why not keep that many? I promise you that much fish is very easy to get rid of (not wasted, but used or given to people who would LOVE to have it). Same thing with people complaining about how many deer someone kills... It's easy to go through a lot of meat if you don't want to buy so much fish/beef/chicken from WallyWorld. I know that I could personally go through A LOT of fish at a time when we get a lot of family/friends together. Then, on top of all those legitimate arguments to the questions, how about a vacuum sealer and freezer?!?! Some peopel can't fish any time they want to and get one or two cracks at it per year. If your family likes fish, it is not hard AT ALL to go through that much trout over a period of time.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Oh its horrible to catch & keep that many fish! But its ok to go to Joe Patti's & buy that much fish. Louisianna has plenty of redfish & trout, Why? Because our dumbasses release them! :doh

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've fished LA a lot about 15 - 20 years ago when I was stationed there. I can definitely say that the fish we caught were bigger. If you fillet them small trout it's about equal to two slices of bologna. I can understand the commercial guys defending useless slaughter or our fisheries because that's how they define a good trip and advertise for customers. Try this sometime, go to Orange Beach on a summer weekend evening and you can probably get a cooler full of ERS, YFT and BFT from people giving it away in the parking lots or watch them throw it in the trash. Then the crews on the boats take a haul home as well because the customers don't want the fish. That my friends is not how you manage a sustainable fishery. The very same people who defend the slaughter because it's the limit and legal will be the first people to bitch when bag limits and seasons are shortened or even canceled. There is a difference between taking what you need, what you can use and what looks good in pictures. If we don't fish responsibly now, it won't be long before we can't fish at all. Just look at the Red Snapper and Amberjack situation that we find ourselves in now. The fishing of 40 years ago is gone and we'll never see the likes of it again because of ego and greed.

Kim

1 - 20 of 175 Posts