Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at bob sykes a guy caught a big red drum that was just an inch to big, using menhadens. Are menhadens and gold spoons good for catching reds? Btw I had just caught some menhaden on a sabiki and I was about to reel it in and something took them imediately and bent my pole down. I foaught with it for about a minute and it cut straight through the thin sabiki line. I assumed it wasn't a mackeral because those weren't fighting that hard today. Then I put another one with a weight and the same thing happen after a little fight. I couldn't get a bite on my pole with 40 lb test. So are menhaden good for drums and big fish or is it just because they were hungry, and what type of gold spoons should I get.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes menhaden work great for big reds! put them on the bottom and hold on.
The only problem I had with those were fish taking them right off the hooks. The only hooks I had big enough to put one on didn't have barbs. I even had something suck the eyes right out of my menhadens a couple times. Do you have any suggestions on what type and size work best.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm no pro but croakers are awesome. everything in the water will eat that. menhaden are good also. if its too cold for my wuss hands to load up with bait using a cast net i stand by the berkley gulp 3" new penny shrimp on a 1/8oz red gig head. never fails on the bama side of the bridge. got 3 flounder, couple of reds (all under sized) and a boat load of ladyfish. so what. its fun draggin in something.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Gold spoons on reds? Oh yeah! I don't know why but when I go trout fishing I always seem to hook a red when I work it deep in the column and slower than normal (just trying different drop counts and speeds to see what the trout want that day and time) and that goes for other areas around Florida. Menhaden is great bait for reds, along with other live bait, just remember to keep the size up or else you'll start catching trash (small) fish.

·
Your mom's a
6,788 Posts
The only problem I had with those were fish taking them right off the hooks. The only hooks I had big enough to put one on didn't have barbs. I even had something suck the eyes right out of my menhadens a couple times. Do you have any suggestions on what type and size work best.

Sounds like crabs got the eyes off the menhaden and Spanish cut your line.

Get some 5/0 light wire hooks and you'll be fine on redfish. 40 pound leader will prevent a cutoff once or twice but check for wear after a fight or two if it's Spanish.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Redfish

When the reds are running they will eat a baloney sandwich. :D
They have been so many at times that they become a nuisance; especially when trying to catch LMB in brackish water.

A gold bladed spinnerbait works well for them in both salt and brackish water. JMHO C2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts