Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked for them a couple of times to no avail. I sure haven't read muh about it this year...except back in November in the bay.

What's your opinion? Is it history for this year?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I haven't heard anything else about them schooling this year but ive seen schools late into winter before. Most reds are going to be on the bottom now. It seems that they aren't as thick this year even on the bottom. Three years ago I remember going out literally every night and couldn't keep a line in the water for more than a couple minutes without a red on.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Just wait till the second or third week of February......

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks....are there any "indicators" I should look for? Wind direction? Tide? Water Temp? Rain/no rain? etc.

I've looked a number of times (I always say I've burned enough gas to go to Cuba and back :)) and have never found them. The problem is...all I know to do is go drive around and look...there must be some "indicators" that some days are more likely to happen than others.

Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Big schools as in the bull run no they have all spread out but the action hasn't necessarily Slowed down you can find them at any of the bridges especially at night underneath Bridge lights you can also find small schools of them running along the beaches from time to time. But once you find one there will be others just keep plugging away until you feel as though the spot has died out.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope this isn't a stupid question but I read your comment about bridge lights? Do people fish them from boats? I know that people fish that one bridge over there on foot. I wouldn't want to mess up their fishing by pulling up in a boat.

I think most of us are the same way: if you pull up to a dock light and the owner is out there, I never fish it. At least, if he's not fishing I ask for permission. There's too much water out there to get in people's way.

I know very little (actually..nothing) about fishing the bridges over there. Would I be stepping on people's toes if fishing those lights from a boat?

TIA

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I hope this isn't a stupid question but I read your comment about bridge lights? Do people fish them from boats? I know that people fish that one bridge over there on foot. I wouldn't want to mess up their fishing by pulling up in a boat.

I think most of us are the same way: if you pull up to a dock light and the owner is out there, I never fish it. At least, if he's not fishing I ask for permission. There's too much water out there to get in people's way.

I know very little (actually..nothing) about fishing the bridges over there. Would I be stepping on people's toes if fishing those lights from a boat?

TIA
as long as you aren't in between the pilons and stay out of casting range it shouldn't be a problem. You don't have to fish the lights to catch bull reds so don't crowd the people that are landlocked. If you're going for other species just be curtious to others and you won't have people pissed off at you.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts

TIA
Yessir, we definitely fish them in the bridge lights from the boat!

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f29/10-27-hunt-red-october-443929/

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f29/11-2-[-choppy-night-w-boys-bulls]-446786/

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f29/12-10-[topwater-bull-action]-462985/

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f29/12-11-[topwaters-twistertails-wintertime-bulls]-463657/

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know that area but is this the I-10 bridge you're talking about?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
3mile, sykes and garcon bridges are best, fishing from a boat us never a problem just dont cut off my drift path hahaha

·
Registered
753 Posts

TIA
I would steer clear of the piers. There are some lights on the bottom of the 3MB pier but fish them at your own risk. The street lights on 3MB is what you need to focus on. Some are better than others, just keep an eye on your electronics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
bulls and slots

have not seen any on top as of late .but we have been doing very well in the pass 65ft. most are very large but get a few under 27" any bait you want.

·
LyterKillsLing
718 Posts
I've looked for them a couple of times to no avail. I sure haven't read muh about it this year...except back in November in the bay.

What's your opinion? Is it history for this year?

I wouldn't exactly rely on a forum for that information lol.... They're here, they're hungry..... Get you some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
LyterKillsLing
718 Posts
Details..... Take a boat look for birds, use depth finder for better judgement... The guides have been tearing them up... Any more detail and I'd be putting one in the net for you.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Details..... Take a boat look for birds, use depth finder for better judgement... The guides have been tearing them up... Any more detail and I'd be putting one in the net for you.

Uhh.... I think you're just leading the OP astray here.

From what I've personally seen & heard, no one is "tearing them up" during the day.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Pretty much everything I've been reading has been night fishing. Has there been much luck during the day time? Any details on that?
The week of New Years, we were catching them pretty consistently at the 3-mile bridge during the daytime. . It was kind of slow. Sometimes you had to let it soak for 10 minutes to get a bite, but then a small school would come through and you'd get a couple of hookups in short order.

Fishing right on the bottom with jumbo shrimp and a carolina rig. Or with a six-inch dropper rig about 2.5 feet off the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
in the pass

jan.2nd and 3rd we caught 10 reds--only one slot. 65 ft. of water,we used shrimp.saw other boats hook up with cut bait and live mullet.also several large drum.drift the pass

1 - 20 of 25 Posts