Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm tempted to get a Mirage drive Hobie for all the reasons mentioned. However, I'm concerned about the weight of a Hobie compared to the 11' WS Tarpon I have now. I'm an older guy and put the yak on top of my SUV to transport it - not sure I can do this with a Hobie. How much do they weigh?
I have an outback and it is kinda heavy. I can carry it overhead somewhat but the weight distribution is not even so I have to awkwardly balance it. I always go with a buddy so I don't have a problem getting it on and off since there's always two of us. Once off I throw it on wheels which is a must in my opinion for getting your yak to and from the beach fully loaded in one trip.

There is a product made by Yakima that is this attachment for a roof rack that extends a steel bar off the side so that you can load your kayak on solo.
http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-BoatLoader-Canoe-Loading-System/dp/B000MB2KIW

·
2015 Hobie Outback
57 Posts
The new 2015 outback is 75 pounds. With seat,drive in it its 88 pounds. Im 40 years old and have no problem loading or dragging it in the beach sand. Buy the hobie beach cart and its a breeze. If u buy it from key sail all accesories are 10% off and the guys at keysail are great and stand behind there buisness. Charlie is great to deal with. Hope this helps

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm tempted to get a Mirage drive Hobie for all the reasons mentioned. However, I'm concerned about the weight of a Hobie compared to the 11' WS Tarpon I have now. I'm an older guy and put the yak on top of my SUV to transport it - not sure I can do this with a Hobie. How much do they weigh?

I have Yakima rack on Rav 4. Use the "load bar" system u can add from Yakima. Makes loading Waaaayyyy better but a trailer would b best.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts