Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
crazyfire (10/25/2007)to plant a small plot right now?? i just found a piece to hunt on...and want to "pep" it up a little...is it too late to plant now or worth a shot?
are you replanting a existing plot that is just overgrown or are you planning on clearing a area and planting it?? cause i figure that most deer are used to a overgrown plot being there and it wouldnt hurt to disk and plant.. but i am living proof that if you go out into the woods with a bush hog and tear up the woods the deer will leave the area for a while.

How many deer are on the property you hunt?? ive hunted areas before that had a high deer population and it didnt seem to bother them when clearings were made but the property i hunt in FL doesnt have tons of deer so when i put in my small plot the deer have avoided it like the plague.. like i said before, in my opinion a feeder is the best way to go. i wish i had just left my feeder there without the plot and i would have already had a couple racks to add to my collection. corn might not be the most nutritious way to go but the bucks have already shed their velvet so the racks are as big as they are gonna get this year. so if youre just wanting to have a attractant, my vote is a feeder of some sort. just my .02!!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
My experience on sweet-corn. If you use it it needs to be in a covered/dry feeder. I put some out and it got wet and mildewed to quickly and nothing ate it.

I've just stuck with corn knowing its not helping the herd out much in hte form of nutrition. however, I haven't been able to put things out year round yet. And if you aren't putting stuff out year round, I'm not sure you are reallying doing much for hte short period of time during hunting season. Thats just my 2 cents. I know the better nutrition for a short period of time is better than nothing, but, its also expensive. I tried sweet-corn one year to try and split the difference, but as I said, it didn't work for me and my set up.

Corn is cheap and readily available. I've a stand that can go through 100 pounds in three days.

·
Registered
782 Posts
jspooney (10/25/2007)
whipper snapper (10/25/2007)i can also vouch for the sweet feed as well as frm trot-a-way horse feed. when times get hard you feed what you got. i also have some stuff called 30 yards that i can spray on anything and the will eat it.
What is 30 yards and where can I get it? Do you just spray it on bushes?
it is a game food additivive that can also be sprayed on vegetation or used as cover scent. i quit putting it on my shoes or on my person because of getting busted. the best way to use is spray on corn or any feed. it attracts all types of critters. i shot a 28# bobcat that came in on it last year. if you spray it on vegetation like gall berries it will attract them but won't hold them. anyone who wants some shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's and overgrown plot that was used 2 years ago...basically just needs to be disked up and planted.....as far as the deer traffic....not too sure to be honest with you...the owner of the property says he sees deer moving all the time..and before the rain...when it was dry....i found several tracks in the area...but nothing really stood out as a big deer...tons of small ones...but small still has meat lol. I'm gonna go out and plant tomorrow and set up a cam....thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
210 Posts
We use sweet feed in our gravity feedersand spin feeders but we also add a bag of choped corn and mix this along with regular corn the choped corn puts a coating of corn dust on the sweet feed which prevents clogging and the deer eat it up. We also add different protien pellets depending on what we find at the time. Also we add wild bird seed to our feeders. Turkey traffic has really picked up since we started doing this they also like the choped corn..Welook at our feeders as an attempt at a little nutritional treat for the deer but alsotrying to keep the does around. We all know what will be hunting the does soon...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts