Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to plant a small plot right now?? i just found a piece to hunt on...and want to "pep" it up a little...is it too late to plant now or worth a shot?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem. It'll come in just handy about RUT time bow huntin' would be out but late gun should be fine.Where are you Fl or AL?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its in Florida, up in molino on pvt property...dont have to worry bout it being cut down...just didnt know if everything would come up in time or not....im kinda new to hunting...so i wasnt sure.....i found a spot with some tracks on it....so i figured it would be a good idea to plant something where the stand is set up.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
You should be fine crazyfire. Just be sure to get the rite amount of fertilizer for the size of your plot and it should come in great.

·
Registered
782 Posts
recomend you invest in a good feeder you can program your times for it to go off. the old golden retreiver never fails!

i also recomend top notch & record rack blue bag deer feed, sold at both barnes feed stores.

i would save the seed money and buy feed.

and i was talking about the deer mowing it down, not as person.

·
Super Moderator
28,115 Posts
Whipper Snapper's right, but I would wait until after season to go with a timer feeder...Let the deer get use to hearing the spinner go off and let them grow use to the times during the off season then they can be at ease during the season....

As fer the plot, I usually plant plots during the bow season, matter of factI just planted part of my plot today...Get a mixture of wheat/oats/winter peas/rape/turnip and tripple 13 fertilizer is what I use. Good luckthis year...:letsdrink

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'm with whipper. I haven't had a lot of luck with small food plots for getting deer to your stand. Corn in a feeder works the best. If your food plots grow, the deer will eat it up to quickly. The corn is a "renewable" resource.

Corn is not a good nutution for the deer. But a food plot just during hunting season isn't helping out the "herd". Your not growing racks at that point and you aren't supplying nutrition for long enough time.

Of course if you have a large area for a food plot then thats different.

But all that said, I usually plant small food plots by my feeder and stand. It ain't going to hurt.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awesome, thanks for the replies everyone...ill give it a shot and keep yall posted...i just bought a camera im gonna set up there and see whats moving...ill let everyone know.

·
Registered
196 Posts
whipper snapper (10/25/2007)have any of you guys tried record rack?

I have a good friend that has used it for several years now. It took a while mixing it with corn to get the deer to eat it, but for the last two years thats all they feed. All I have to say is WOW. Unfortunatly I have not been lucky enough to get an invite (its his boss's land) but I have seen some of the bucks that come off of it last year and they are huge. Body weight and rack size have increased. The land has always had great deer on it but they took 4 deer that scored over 140 last year alone and the body weights were around a 200lbs average. They pretty much swear by it and if you have land that you can manage for several years it would be worth starting a feeding program with record rack. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
i had bucks in bachelor groups comin to my feeder in the morning and the afternoons every day, i cleared about 30x40 and turned it into a food plot and havent had them come back since!! and the foodplot is growin great with all the rain lately. if i were you i would wait till after the season to start disrupting their environment, put up a gravity feeder. you can get them at mikes for $100 or so and they are very nice. also they hold 200lbs of corn. or you could make your own feeder. but thats just my opinion

heres one i made last year

Attachments

4,058 Posts
definately not too late. i often overseed a couple times during december well after the first freeze and seed continues to sprout within days if the soil is moist.

as for the deer mowing it down-isn't that the point? if you want it to get calf/hip high, look into plotsaver products (google it). we use it at our place and our food plots look like damn fluffy mattresses of green. you just want to go lay in them they're so thick. once it gets up that high, the deer usually have a hard time mowing it down completely.

regarding corn, it's comparable to candy for humans. tastes pretty damn good, but doesnt offer much in the area of nutrition, and too much of it is actually bad. something about the rumens in their stomach or something like that. im no longer pre-vet so i dont remember. annnnnnnyways, i like to mix my corn with antler king feed pellets and sweet feed (originally meant for cattle). can't beat it.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Wanted to throw my 2 cents in - I have a lease in Cantonment/Molino, as well as neighbors that let me plant their fields for dove and deer. We planted Iron and Clay Peas about the first week of Sept. (about 1 acre) and it got to be about 3' tall with tons of peas - and the deer are pouring into it. I've hunted it twice - they're only coming to it at night apparently - after the last rain, I hunted it in the morning, didn't see anything, then when I climbed down I walked the plot and there were probably 15-20 sets of fresh tracks in the plot.

Here's what I think - if you have an ability to plant larger plots (an acre or more) in an area without much human traffic, deer will probably feed in them during daylight hours once in a while. If you go back into the woods near one of these plots, and find a small, secluded opening, hand a feeder there, and set up a tree stand or a ground blind that you can get in and out of without spooking any deer in the main plot. Deer will stage at the feeder before entering the large plot after dark.

The other thought - there are products that become much more attractive to deer after a freeze (turnips, rape, etc). I still don't know whether a small plot of them would be attractive enough to hunt it successfully. I think you'll have better success planting what you can, and putting a gravity or spin feeder in, and keeping it filled year round, in and around your plot(s), and back in the woods away from one or two of them.

Ed

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hey BlueHoo........do your deer really like the sweet feed? I've always wanted to try it. I figured they would have to love it. How do feed it? I was thinking it would be too gooey and thick for a regular feeder and the gravity feeder. I thought it might clog up too much.

4,058 Posts
Collard (10/25/2007)Hey BlueHoo........do your deer really like the sweet feed? I've always wanted to try it. I figured they would have to love it. How do feed it? I was thinking it would be too gooey and thick for a regular feeder and the gravity feeder. I thought it might clog up too much.
I put it inmy trough feeder. They love it, and it's much better for them than the corn.

·
Registered
782 Posts
i can also vouch for the sweet feed as well as frm trot-a-way horse feed. when times get hard you feed what you got. i also have some stuff called 30 yards that i can spray on anything and the will eat it.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
whipper snapper (10/25/2007)i can also vouch for the sweet feed as well as frm trot-a-way horse feed. when times get hard you feed what you got. i also have some stuff called 30 yards that i can spray on anything and the will eat it.
What is 30 yards and where can I get it? Do you just spray it on bushes?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts