Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried to fish trout bayou for the first time last saturday. i saw boats on the other side of the inlet, but i'll be damn if i can see how they got in there. water was like a foot deep. was very low at mulat as well, is this the norm? i usually stay west of three mile or on the intercoastal, sometimes put in at the swamp house or jims. i haven't been fishin' since hunting season came in, so i was wondering if it is always like that or has it just been low lately?

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,430 Posts
Yep,... even on a lake or pond, if the wind is blowing the water will be higher on the downwind side of the body of water.

In the gulf, it doesn't even have to be blowing hard at the shore...3 miles offshore the wind may be much stronger and will "suck" water from the bays. (Actually, it "pushes" water offshore which leaves room for the water inshore to drain out.)

Not sure of the exact terminology, but there is a science behind it.

It's a BIG part of a "storm surge"

Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, also Trout Bayou is damn near closed off on a super-low winter tide. My uncle lives there and the inlet is maybe 10' wide and a foot deep(on high tide). But, I can say thata couple of nights ago me and my dad were trying to get some mullet in there, and I ended up catching a pretty nice speck in my mullet net. Theres fish there if you can get in!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the sun and moon play a large part as well. Both affect the tides, and with the sun on such a far southern exposure this time of year, it pulls the water out of the bays and sound as much as the north wind pushes it. It's on its way back up, though.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
During the winter months winds are from the NW Or NE,plus the earth's tilt.

Before a front when the wind comes from the S SW you'll see the tide come in big!

Thats when you need to go out. On a low tide and study the structures that are showing.

You'll get a better understanding where fish hang out at.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I LIVE ON TROUT BAYOU. I HAVE 17' CAPE HORN AND YOU REALLY HAVE TO CATCH THE TIDES TO GET OUT (or in). THE BAYOU IS LOADED WITH ALL SPECIES. IT ALSO CONNECTS WITH RACOON BAYOU. CURRENTLY TRYING TO GET MOUTH REOPENED AND DREDGED. EMAIL WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS. [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts