Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. In the market for anow entry level new or a used Tm when I get the boat running. I have 150 or less for this because I have a couple more odds and ends to get. I see a 30 lb minn kota running for 100-105 at various places. I know using it in the bay will void the warranty but will be mostly brackish with some bay use. I am reglassing the boat next year and will be getting a 55 lb thrust riptide so I can legitimately troll with the TM. Is 30 enough for controlled drifting and slashing around at Jims for a year? Boat is 14 ft semi v glass boat. Will be transom mount

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
I have a 12' aluminum deep-v hull back in Wisconsin that I used all throughout high school. I have had an Endura 30 on it for drifting, slow-trolling & even running short distances when having motor issues & it always got the job done. The 30 should be alright for ya man! But maybe someone else can give some better insight.

·
Super Moderator
20,018 Posts
30 will be a dog on a fiberglass 14' boat. I had a 70 on my last 14' boat and even though it's way more than enough I wouldn't go lower. Try finding a 45 or so.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
You'll def. have to play the wind and the current (as in avoid trying to go INTO a stiff one of either). If you can live with that, you could get by.
You might want to post in the boating for sale section that you WTB a cheap TM. Someone might have a deal on something used!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you thought about putting that money towards a push pole and using that for the year until you purchase a sufficient trolling motor? That way you would have the push pole for later and also it'll save you the money for a battery as well. Just a thought, not sure what type of fishing your doing. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts