Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For an irrigation well, how far below the water table do you need to go?

Also, if you're in close proximity to saltwater, will groundwater be salty? If so, how much deeper do you need to go to get to water that would be usable for irrigation?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
it all depends on where the band of larger white grains of sand are. from my experience, no real way of saying, until you start to find the sweet spot... when I dug mine (by hand) i knew when to stop.... the well sucked the water from the hoses... boom. go another 3-4 feet for your screen and stop...

·
Registered
14,721 Posts
My well guy told me ya gotta get down to “good water”. Unless your digging it yourself I’d let your well guy decide. I’ve had 3. First was 110’ second was 235 The one I have now is 160. I don’t think saltwater is an issue if you get into “good water”

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it all depends on where the band of larger white grains of sand are. from my experience, no real way of saying, until you start to find the sweet spot... when I dug mine (by hand) i knew when to stop.... the well sucked the water from the hoses... boom. go another 3-4 feet for your screen and stop...
This is what I'm wanting to do, dig my own.

How deep did you go and what method did you use? From the sound of it, sounds like you jetted it?

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
I was on the west side of Pensacola, years ago... I put 2 well points down, one went 25 Ft. the other 22 Ft 10 Ft away from the other (I got tired on the second) 2 water hoses taped together, screwed the 2 inch pipe into the ground (I cut some teeth into the digging end of the 2 inch pipe), only hit 2 roots BTW. once the large white grains of sand started to appear, I went another couple 3 feet and the water was not coming back out of the 2 inch pipe any more. the sand (water vein) was sicking it in.... quickly put together 20 Ft of 1 1/2 inch pipe with 5 Ft screen at the tip. down inside the 2 inch, hammered it down another foot or 2. wrestled the 2 inch back up out of the hole, the sides collapsed on the 1 1/2 pipe (you have to be quick, before the ground grabs the outer casing (pipe))and wham there, you have a well point. I was getting good clean no odor and no stain water. ran that well for days on end for 16 years, no issues, never went dry and never stained anything.... good stuff.... I remember the total cost was something like 211 bucks for the pump, breaker, wire and pipe, 3 hose bibs (until I put the sprinkler system in.... whole job. ALOT of this depends on where you are located......

suggest you wait until fall after the cooler temps arrive to do this.... its hard hot work.... I did mine in July.... stupid move.... 2 cents...

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Not to scale, and you may be required to get a permit these days.... (hint)

the swamp shit layer is where you get the stain and stink..... you have to get past all that crap.... try and not pass through all the white sand, it may be deep, ro only a few feet where you drill.... this fine art work will give you an idea.... :) (forgot to draw the check valve at or just below ground level....)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
I sunk my own in 1998. It was behind outcast bait and tackle. I hit water at 16 feet. I went 10 more feet. Are used two 5 foot screens The method I used was auger and bailer. I rented the equipment from Warrington hardware. It was a long hard task, I would not do it again. My well today at my house behind Pete Moore Chevrolet is 75 feet deep.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
https://www.drillyourownwell.com/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
i remember this site.... things on the internet never go away... the thing circled is a piece of trash, I think its still laying around here somewhere. You can have it if i can find it... the pressure in the pipe kept popping it off. can't glue it on, because you don't know here you'll (how deep) be stopping. Needing to add more pipe to go deeper... I simply taped 2 hoses together and stuck them down the top of the pipe and went at it. the water coming out of the top kept me cool too... :) Good Times...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
yeah, that a bail and bucket, you can do that too..... i remember seeing this video as well. i let the water do the hard work for me... I dont think that well won't give you the volume of water needed to run an electric pump for a irrigation system. it really depends on where your digging. my well in west Pensacola, was 25 ft, here in cantonment, its 125 or more, i think.. I had a fella replace the submersible pump a couple years ago with his equipment... good luck, let us know how it works out....

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, that a bail and bucket, you can do that too..... i remember seeing this video as well. i let the water do the hard work for me... I dont think that well won't give you the volume of water needed to run an electric pump for a irrigation system. it really depends on where your digging. my well in west Pensacola, was 25 ft, here in cantonment, its 125 or more, i think.. I had a fella replace the submersible pump a couple years ago with his equipment... good luck, let us know how it works out....
Will do,

I'm about 100' from the bay in Santa Rosa Beach. When I dug for my temporary power pole I had gotten into water about 4 - 5 foot down (most of the depth of my pay hole diggers).

I'll be getting back home next week and I'm going to give it a whirl. I don't know where to buy the attachment. I've also wondered if I rented an auger if they make attachments to send the bit deeper...

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Use drillers mud and circulate the water bury a wash tub next to the hole the mud keeps the wall from falling down. I did 3 wells to 60 ft. 2 inch casing with well point, 1 1/2 pipe inside with a check valve. Only use it for the yard. Bought a 100$ harbour frt well pump 4 years ago still running. Sounds worse than an old 4 speed manuel rock crusher transmission.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Use drillers mud and circulate the water bury a wash tub next to the hole the mud keeps the wall from falling down. I did 3 wells to 60 ft. 2 inch casing with well point, 1 1/2 pipe inside with a check valve. Only use it for the yard. Bought a 100$ harbour frt well pump 4 years ago still running. Sounds worse than an old 4 speed manuel rock crusher transmission.
This is what I need to do lol harbor freight is my go to place

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Will do,

I'm about 100' from the bay in Santa Rosa Beach. When I dug for my temporary power pole I had gotten into water about 4 - 5 foot down (most of the depth of my pay hole diggers).

I'll be getting back home next week and I'm going to give it a whirl. I don't know where to buy the attachment. I've also wondered if I rented an auger if they make attachments to send the bit deeper...

you have sand, save the money on an auger, just use a shovel and go down 3 - 4 feet with that. easy as pie unless you hit a root, or building debris from when they built the house..... :O just don't stop short, or go past the good water.... its hard to explain, but you'll know when to stop.... when the ground is taking the water from your hose, go another 3-4 feet and stop....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts