Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
If you lived in Ft Walton I would show you over and over how to do it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
oh and by the way i have been using eagle claw 2.00 4 idk 3ooyds or sumthn whats the best leader and stay with 25#?

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
25# is overkill for flats fishing, if you structure fish then maybe. I usually don't go over 20# andI like Seguar Fluorocarbon for inshore.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'd say it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're fishing tournaments for Reds/Specks, and using artificial, definitely get a 7'-7'6" medium action fast/extra fast tip rod with a 2000-3000 series reel (I use Shimano Stradics and Sustains in the 3000 series) and use 15 lb. Spiderwire Invisibraid, Sufix Performance Braid or whatever brand you prefer, I like those two the best. I typically use 20 lb. fluoro unless there are some super spooky fish, then I'll downsize line and leader. Right now I'm using 10 lb. braid, it casts a great distance, but larger reds can break you off a lot easier. These are just my recommendations, they work well for me, and I am typically fishing the flats, creeks, oyster beds, etc. For deep water/structure type fishing, you definitely need heavier line. Most that I know fishing docks will use around 30 lb. braid.

If you're looking at buying a new rod, go by Hot Spots Bait and Tackle, they just got some new American Rodsmith rods in that are bad @$$ and most of them are around 100 bucks. Talk to any of the guys working there and they should be able to help you get a sweet setup.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Have used invisibraid for several years and agee it is the smoothest casting line I have tried. I know there are numerous opinions and yes, I have tried gorilla braid, <U>regular</U> spiderwire, fireline, power pro,.....etc. Invisibraid just happens to be MY personal favorite.Not saying it is any better or the others are any worse.....Like chevy vs ford, penn vs diawa. I just personnaly prefer the feel of the invisibraid and feel likeI get a longer, smoother cast. In open water with the spookier conditions, I use 10# with a 10# leader. If conditions warrant, I will tie on a 20# leader. I also keep a rod wih 30# invisibraid nearby for those docks, rock piles, or other heavily structured areas that I come across. I think the main thing is if wanting to go braid, FIND one YOU are comfortable with and definitly get used to tying that leader. Like alot of lure choices, I believe 90% of it is your confidence in what you are using. Just my opinions...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well, if you're fun fishing, I'd say 10-20 braid based on how badly you wanna boat the fish vs. how much you want to enjoy the fight. You can land bull reds on as light a light as possible. I know a few on here that regularly use 8lb. line. Whatever you enjoy the most should be what you use.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts