Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the link

http://www.marklevinshow.com/Article.asp?id=1790422&spid=32364

Being an engineer, I had to educate myself as to the systems involved so I could try to comprehend what happened and what is happening. I've come across alot of interesting info you will not find on the mainstream media. I may add to this post with some of the info I have come across. Check out upstreamonline.com.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a very good article with running updates.

http://thehayride.com/2010/05/the-latest-on-the-gulf-oil-spill-via-upstream-online-and-some-troubling-questions/

Guess what, it appears that the earth seeps oil into the oceans naturally. Twice the amount of the Exxon Valdez in the GOM every year.

This is a disaster, but the press, the government posturing, is all BS. Here we go "the sky is falling" whaaaaaaa. You mean to tell me a Henry Waxman hearing is going to fix problems in the oil industry. If all is doomed, it is because of our ignorance in what we choose to beleive and who we vote into office.

And then you got you morons on here talking about mounting snapper that wash up and we cant catch but two and the oil industry can kill millions. Quit driving your cars, motorcycles, four wheelers and running your generators when a hurricane hits youidiots.

Educate yourself people, quit being sheep.

·
Registered
76 Posts
daddytime (02/05/2010)Here is a very good article with running updates.

http://thehayride.com/2010/05/the-latest-on-the-gulf-oil-spill-via-upstream-online-and-some-troubling-questions/

Guess what, it appears that the earth seeps oil into the oceans naturally. Twice the amount of the Exxon Valdez in the GOM every year.

This is a disaster, but the press, the government posturing, is all BS. Here we go "the sky is falling" whaaaaaaa. You mean to tell me a Henry Waxman hearing is going to fix problems in the oil industry. If all is doomed, it is because of our ignorance in what we choose to beleive and who we vote into office.

And then you got you morons on here talking about mounting snapper that wash up and we cant catch but two and the oil industry can kill millions. Quit driving your cars, motorcycles, four wheelers and running your generators when a hurricane hits youidiots.

Educate yourself people, quit being sheep.
Stop and think about that. Yes the Gulf of Mexico leaks millions of barrels a year into the ocean every year. To be more precise that amount of oil leaks out across 600,000 square miles of ocean over a period of 365 days. Now take 5-10% of that oil, dump it in a specific spot over the span of 1-2 weeks and suddenly that smaller number is a big, big deal.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
wow, thanks for the link. a very enlightening sound byte when you listen to both of them. definately dispelled alot of the rumour and questions that have been flying around from all the talking heads in the media.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alle9219

Why don't you stop and read the whole post or read the articles at the links I posted. No, instead try to act like your brilliant and Im the idiot. You don't have to be an engineer to know that contamination of any kind is worse from a point discharge.

The point is this, somebody tell me where they heard what I posted about natural oil seepage other than my post. Fox, CNN, ? NEGATIVE

I will try this again, EDUCATE yourselves and quit being sheep.

FOR THE RECORD, I'M AN OUTDOORSMAN, MY KIDS ARE OUTDOORSMAN. THIS IS TERRIBLE, THIS SUCKS, THIS IS GOING TO NEGATIVELY IMPACT OUR ENVIRONMENT AND OUR ECONOMY. IT SUCKS.

IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD AND WE WILL OVERCOME THIS. So, lets be proactive, educate ourselves, learn, and get involved and stop with the sky is falling BS and oil industry bashing. If wind mills and solar panels were the answer we would have gave up fossil fuels along time ago.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I take back the "idiot, moron,etc." I just want to share what I found doing some research and to be honest, I'm irritated when my own love ones don't know anything more than what they see on the tube. They only tell us what they want. This is bad, it takes all kinds to make the world go around, so I apologize for the deragatory comments. Hope you do your own research.

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Thanks Daddytime for this most enlightening post of the interview with Mark Levin. That cleared up alot of questions that I and many others had about the catastrophe/disaster.... I have learned/heard that there are other leaks in the area. We need some hope from this disaster, I calculated that 2000 gallons of recovered crude would sell for about 4 grand. I just don't know how we can safely recover the floating gold. I do know that said floating gold will turn seafood breeding grounds into wastelands. It would be awesome if we could sell the sh$t that would pollute our aforementioned areas for extra cash though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The interview was interesting. However, you must consider the source Mark Levin is a "Shepard" himself and does not depend on the sea for a living......He's a New York Lawyer. As an engineer also,you must consider every situation. And the bottomline is BP and Transocean did not have a back-up plan for handling mothernature's "burp" or "Hickup". And we have been fooled again by the Oil Companies saying nothing could ever go wrong. Just like we were fooled by the bankers, morgager brokers, in 2008-9 and like we trusted our insurance companies to pay us in 2004-5 with our Ivan and Katrina claims. There should be 2 B O P's and there should be drill mud in the hole. The man said there was no mud in the hole. Thus creating no weight to manage the pressure from the sea floor. In aerospace and medical there always are multiple redundant systems. Sounds like the BOP was tested or at least on paper and there was no drill mud in the hole. So unfortunately, it's in the hole now.....ours. I guess they will shut the valve off by the time it gets to the Keys.

·
Registered
731 Posts
daddytime (01/05/2010)Here is the link

Being an engineer, I had to educate myself as to the systems involved so I could try to comprehend what happened and what is happening. I've come across alot of interesting info you will not find on the mainstream media. I may add to this post with some of the info I have come across. Check out upstreamonline.com.
Very interesting. Thank you for posting. I have been wanting to find out exactly what they were doing at the time the rig took the kick. After listening to that inteview, it really sounds like there was an issue with the cement job on the liner.

Here's a generic wellbore schematic showing a liner. Judging from the comments on the interview, the last step they had done to the wellwas cementing the liner. At that point the drilling phase of the well was complete. The rig was preparing to move off the well to allow another rig to come in and run the production tubing. This is all based on the comments of the caller.

They thought they had the liner cemented effectively, which would seal off the wellbore from the production zone. They circulated out the heavy drilling mud out of the riser so they could disconnect from the well. The drilling mud is often an oil based "mud" that contains addititves that make it more dense, or heavier, than say sea water. Because it's heavier, it applies more downward pressure on the formation pressure that is pushing up the well. This keeps the pressure in the well under control. This mud has to be circulated out of the riser prior to them disconnecting the riser from the well in order to, ironically, avoid pollution.

My guess would have been that they would have had to keep the drilling mud in the riser until they had a satisfactory test on the last cement job. Had that mud been in the riser when they opened the well, the gulf wouldn't be experiencing the problem it is now more than likely. Sea water is typically 8.6 pounds per gallon. Drilling mud is more in the range of 16 pounds per gallon. At 5000', 16 ppg drilling mud would have provided a hydrostatic force of 4160 psi compared to 2236 psi for 8.6 ppg sea water. The drilling mud they were using may very well could have been heavier. With just sea water in the riser, they most likely hadsomewhere around 2000 psi less hydrostatic head than with drilling mud. They may have even gotten a satisfactory test on the cement job, shut the BOP's, and circulated the mud out. If this was the case they would have been taken completey by suprise by a gas kick.

This is all speculation on my part based on the interview in the link above.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
daddytime (02/05/2010)OK, I take back the "idiot, moron,etc." I just want to share what I found doing some research and to be honest, I'm irritated when my own love ones don't know anything more than what they see on the tube. They only tell us what they want. This is bad, it takes all kinds to make the world go around, so I apologize for the deragatory comments. Hope you do your own research.
Thanks Tom!!!!

I have also gotten fustrated with the TV News, but have not had the time to dig for the "Truth". (I've pretty much given up on finding out the "Truth" these day's. :boo :banghead)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Billfishguy

It appears your right about BP's contingency plan. It pretty much assumed what has happened could not or would not happen.

In high tech risky exploits such as space travel, and drilling miles into mother earth, you could spend ALL your profits dealing with the unknown and what ifs. Unfortanatley for the gulf and its inhabitants, BP did not spend enough on what ifs. Of course, we didn't have to research the net to find the bad news about the contingency plan.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chasin' Tales (02/05/2010)
daddytime (01/05/2010)Here is the link

Very interesting. Thank you for posting. I have been wanting to find out exactly what they were doing at the time the rig took the kick. After listening to that inteview, it really sounds like there was an issue with the cement job on the liner.

Here's a generic wellbore schematic showing a liner. Judging from the comments on the interview, the last step they had done to the wellwas cementing the liner. At that point the drilling phase of the well was complete. The rig was preparing to move off the well to allow another rig to come in and run the production tubing. This is all based on the comments of the caller.

They thought they had the liner cemented effectively, which would seal off the wellbore from the production zone. They circulated out the heavy drilling mud out of the riser so they could disconnect from the well. The drilling mud is often an oil based "mud" that contains addititves that make it more dense, or heavier, than say sea water. Because it's heavier, it applies more downward pressure on the formation pressure that is pushing up the well. This keeps the pressure in the well under control. This mud has to be circulated out of the riser prior to them disconnecting the riser from the well in order to, ironically, avoid pollution.

My guess would have been that they would have had to keep the drilling mud in the riser until they had a satisfactory test on the last cement job. Had that mud been in the riser when they opened the well, the gulf wouldn't be experiencing the problem it is now more than likely. Sea water is typically 8.6 pounds per gallon. Drilling mud is more in the range of 16 pounds per gallon. At 5000', 16 ppg drilling mud would have provided a hydrostatic force of 4160 psi compared to 2236 psi for 8.6 ppg sea water. The drilling mud they were using may very well could have been heavier. With just sea water in the riser, they most likely hadsomewhere around 2000 psi less hydrostatic head than with drilling mud. They may have even gotten a satisfactory test on the cement job, shut the BOP's, and circulated the mud out. If this was the case they would have been taken completey by suprise by a gas kick.

This is all speculation on my part based on the interview in the link above.

Thanks for the educational post. After listening to the interview and then reading your speculation about what might have happened, I have gained some knowledge about the process of deepwater drilling and the possible cause of the explosion that led to this current shitstorm.

·
Registered
731 Posts
WireTwister (02/05/2010)Sad fact is our representatives do not require the oil companies to use a remote operated acousticBOP. If one was installed there isa good chance the spill would have been minor and the rig would still be floating. Even third world governments are requiring this type of BOP. See link.

http://www.km.kongsberg.com/ks/web/nokbg0240.nsf/AllWeb/2A64AE2B8E9FA942C1256A7E003D3C0E?OpenDocument[/quote]

It is doubtful that an acoustic actuator on theBOP's would work had there been one installed. It is known that the rig crew did try to close the BOP's from surface. The ROV's have also tried to actuate the BOP's. If those two methods didn't work, it's highly unlikely that an acoustic actuator would have been able to close the BOP's either. There is obviouslly an issue that is keeping the BOP's from containing the flow of oil.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
OK, that is very informative and I did learn a lot that I otherwise wouldn't have known. And, I will admit I was wrong for calling everyone in the industry a-holes and to go f-themselves. It was wrong, but if thisisn't something to get angry about then I don't know what is.

With that said, the above information doesn't make me feel any better about the oil spill. I'm ready to make the switch from oil now. Let's get rid of cars, go to mass transit, sail boats,and bikes and mandate no more gasoline use. Our biggest dependency is transit, shipping, plastics and fertilizer's but we got along before oil, soI know we can do it again. We could do it, it is possible. I know everyone says it is impossible, but I'm willing to give it a try. Even if it means going off the grid.

·
Registered
172 Posts
P-cola_Native (02/05/2010)OK, that is very informative and I did learn a lot that I otherwise wouldn't have known. And, I will admit I was wrong for calling everyone in the industry a-holes and to go f-themselves. It was wrong, but if thisisn't something to get angry about then I don't know what is.

With that said, the above information doesn't make me feel any better about the oil spill. I'm ready to make the switch from oil now. Let's get rid of cars, go to mass transit, sail boats,and bikes and mandate no more gasoline use. Our biggest dependency is transit, shipping, plastics and fertilizer's but we got along before oil, soI know we can do it again. We could do it, it is possible. I know everyone says it is impossible, but I'm willing to give it a try. Even if it means going off the grid.
Well I guess all of these strong, brave words of conviction means that this will be your last post on the PFF. OK. Good luck. Later, dude.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
bayou bandit (02/05/2010)
P-cola_Native (02/05/2010)OK, that is very informative and I did learn a lot that I otherwise wouldn't have known. And, I will admit I was wrong for calling everyone in the industry a-holes and to go f-themselves. It was wrong, but if thisisn't something to get angry about then I don't know what is.

Well I guess all of these strong, brave words of conviction means that this will be your last post on the PFF. OK. Good luck. Later, dude.
Nope, my power is still running. But you can bet whether I relocate or not I will do everything I can in order to use feweroil products. I'm not going to justify using power because we are on a coal fired plant, because even that stuff is mined and shipped using oil driven machines. I didn't say it would happpen tomorrow, but I'll plan my future and live the rest of my life in a different way.

One thing that is apparent is that we have more oil drilling proponents than fisheries and environment proponents here on the PFF. Must be a whole bunch of y'all that get your money from an oil company, not many fishermen left.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts