Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, had a primer bulb that would not press up...when I pumped it, I could hear air escaping at the tank on every pump...turns out there is a valve on top of the fuel pickup that had a torn diaphragm, thus the air leak. This is an attempt for EPA emissions control for boats starting in 2012-ish. My boat is 6 yrs old and this diaphragm blew out, so newer boats look out for this additional fuel system culprit
18A8899B-0094-405A-A813-C0146BE33C02.jpeg

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Never seen one but this brings up a question for me. Doesn't your primer bulb have it's own check valve/ball? Seems it's always been that way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ur right, there’s a check ball in the primer bulb...it’s just a 70 dollar part created in the name of emissions control

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
Ur right, there’s a check ball in the primer bulb...it’s just a 70 dollar part created in the name of emissions control
The check balls in the primer bulb is required for pumping. The other check valve in tank is an anti siphyn valve. Never seen one like posted picture.
I dont understand how fuel can siphen with all the fuel lines running above the fuel.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
After reading about the valve I'm more confused than when I started. But I know what I would do. Get a vented tank and do away with the valve.
Ron, the valve is only on the new EPA fuel tanks that are not vented, so they allow pressure to build in the tank from heat. Which pushes fuel up the lines to the motor, causing flooding issues.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
There were a Lot of complaints on the Classic Parker forum about problems Filling the tank /Tanks with this new apparatus.

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
Ok I guess they aren't happy making thousands off of sales and services. So they eliminate a tank vent and cause further problems. I never could afford a new boat and I am glad.
5th new engine on my present 19.6 wellcraft. Same plastic fuel tank. Without the problematic fuel senser.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts