Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
lol
thanks for all the comments..
so "mein furor" did not officially write me up. he verbally reprimanded me and said "the sop is ours but we still need central office approval." i told him i disagree, its federal law, and since our sop says May 15 we lower the flag, along with ALL federal facilities, i can argue i would be in violation of that law for not lowering it, edpecially since im in charge of this location. he didnt like that but he knows he could not take disciplinary action..but..he is supposedly sending me an email with his "expectations" from me. im looking forward to comparing the expectations to my position description critical elements. bottom line is he has a problem with everything i do without his approval, yet in 17 years ive never received lower than "outstanding" on annual evals, even the years hes done my eval. im too the point of using my FLEOLA retained council as suggested by someone earlier, i honestly believe im being subjected to a hostile work environment, but im not sure i want to go through that process. just sucks being under the thumb of an egomaniac who cant let his people do what they are paid to do because he is a control freak whos scared to death of looking bad to his superiors...yet ive never given him a reason to not have confidence in me..again, a shitty situation but at least i have a 17 year federal career while a lot of folks are struggling right now.
thanks for all the input!! this was fun👍

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
I highly recommend you buy and read the book “Never Split the Difference” by Chris Voss. It will help you in your conversations with this boss and perhaps, change the situation to something very desirable for you. Just a suggestion. Voss was the lead international negotiator who turned negotiation strategy upside down.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I highly recommend you buy and read the book “Never Split the Difference” by Chris Voss. It will help you in your conversations with this boss and perhaps, change the situation to something very desirable for you. Just a suggestion. Voss was the lead international negotiator who turned negotiation strategy upside down.
awesome..definitely will

·
Registered
751 Posts
It erks me so bad because i can picture this dude and see your frustration with his poor leadership. One of the biggest takeaways I've gotten from the military is this...you learn more from shitty supervision than you do good supervision. Pocket these situations and distance yourself from this turd, i agree with another poster that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, especially if you are right. When you are in his role in the future, remember these times and don't let yourself become that guy. Let it be a learning experience. Good luck!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It erks me so bad because i can picture this dude and see your frustration with his poor leadership. One of the biggest takeaways I've gotten from the military is this...you learn more from shitty supervision than you do good supervision. Pocket these situations and distance yourself from this turd, i agree with another poster that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, especially if you are right. When you are in his role in the future, remember these times and don't let yourself become that guy. Let it be a learning experience. Good luck!
10-4!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have been a GS employee for roughly 24 years. I do not tell my supervisor what I do all the time. I just do my job and if he doesn't like what I do or any of my decisions, it's his responsibility to bring it up to me. I see my supervisor when my midterm evals are due and annual appraisals are due. Any other thing, I call him or email him. I say you do what your SOP says and don't tell him what your doing unless that is the "SOP".

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
You stated earlier that he came up the ranks quickly. Do you feel like you’re more qualified than he is? Not trying to throw stones but you seem old enough to know when to pick your battles. I tell my people all the time it’s just as important to manage up as it is down.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
You stated earlier that he came up the ranks quickly. Do you feel like you’re more qualified than he is? Not trying to throw stones but you seem old enough to know when to pick your battles. I tell my people all the time it’s just as important to manage up as it is down.
absoltely more qualified from a operational standpoint. he is a better politician than me for sure but i definitely am more knowledgable about the ins and outs of operations and it chaps his ass when ANYONE corrects him. hes stripped any autonomy or decision making abilities away from anyone under him contrary to what our position description says. very frustrating

·
Super Moderator
28,275 Posts
I can almost guarantee you that the email will be a brief non specific email, and highly doubt you will get any info on the flag since he'll probably look it up and say ohhhh crap I was wrong. He may not email you at all too!!!

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,836 Posts
absoltely more qualified from a operational standpoint. he is a better politician than me for sure but i definitely am more knowledgable about the ins and outs of operations and it chaps his ass when ANYONE corrects him. hes stripped any autonomy or decision making abilities away from anyone under him contrary to what our position description says. very frustrating
Sounds like he will cover his ass by throwing someone under the bus when there's a major malfunction.
Looks like you gonna have a stack of documentation to cover yours. Plus digitize just in case.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts