Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instructions say "Dont use TEFLON tape on npt fittings"

What do I use? It didnt make suggestions and it didnt come with anything

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
"Dont use TEFLON tape on npt fittings"

Correct!

This is a Teflon base thread sealent. A tube of it comes with the Racor's that I have recommended in the past and where to buy them.

You will find it at the auto parts store.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
10-4....I just happened to open that pack the other day and install a few fittings. :)

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got my fuel lines all reconfigured and filter installed.

Squeezed the prime bulb a few times, turned the key, and my rebuilt engine roared to life. I was shocked how quick it started and feel great knowing that I won't be getting water in my newly rebuilt motor. Thanks again.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks like I saw this post a little too late to help out but I used that same thread sealant on my racor a few months back- Hope she runs like a caddy for you!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
We use teflon tape, you just don't allow it to touch the first 2 threads of the fitting.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
We use teflon tape, you just don't allow it to touch the first 2 threads of the fitting.

That is why they tell people not to use Teflon tape.

They will not be as careful as you are about their wraps. :)

I have plenty of Teflon tape here, but I choose to use what they call for.

Nothing like a shrad of Teflon tape to enter a Fuel Injection system or Carb and screw up your day.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was the first time Ive cranked it since I blew up the old motor and had it replaced with a rebuilt motor. I wasn't going to take any chances with doing it half assed, thus the new water separating filter and the thread sealant. Why cheap out with $1 teflon tape when $4 sealant is the right thing to use?

Anyway, I was used to my old motor being difficult to start till it warmed up. And I figured the engine would need to turn over a few times, since I did a total rearranging of where the filter was located and the gas lines had been emptied. So when I primed with the squeeze bulb and it cranked first time, after having lines purged and sitting a couple weeks, I was practically in shock. LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts