Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I've recently upgraded from my dinky lake and creek beater kayak to the new Ascend 133x kayak.

I've dumped quite a bit of money into it, mainly because I've waited years to upgrade and figured I'd treat myself lol. But now with a much nicer yak, I'd really like to make a switch from 100% freshwater fishing to primarily saltwater inshore/nearshore fishing. I've gon at night once or twice in it and hit some dock lights with a little success, but daytime fishing seems really daunting. At least at night I have lights, specific targets to cast at 馃槀.

I've been Bass fishing for so long, I can't really remember what it's like to be uncertain, if that makes sense. Whether I catch Bass or not, I KNOW I'm doing what I need to be doing.

With learning inshore alone, not catching fish puts me in an uncomfortable position of not knowing if it's me or the fish, and there's not exactly stumps and weedlines to cast at and beat banks 馃槀. Fishing a grass flat for me is just really daunting when I can't buy a bite.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to show a new guy the ropes. Anywhere around the Milton, Pensacola, Pace area would be fine. I'm willing to drive for the knowledge 馃槀. I could learn it all myself, but I know going with someone who knows what to do is worth 10 trips alone. Not asking for your best spots or honeyholes, just to tag along and catch a few fish to convince myself next time I go alone that I'm doing it right lol.

Eager to get on some specks and reds more consistently!

Registered
I have been, and to a large degree still am, in your shoes. I would have hoped someone would have chimed in. I'll send you a PM with a suggestion, whether it helps you or not I don't know.

Registered
Have you considered hiring a guide? There was a contributor here on this site that offered guided yak trip. I can鈥檛 remember his name. It was Nick something. I鈥檓 sure a good guide could cut down the learning curve.
~JOE~

Registered
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to show a new guy the ropes. Anywhere around the Milton, Pensacola, Pace area would be fine. I'm willing to drive for the knowledge 馃槀. I could learn it all myself, but I know going with someone who knows what to do is worth 10 trips alone. Not asking for your best spots or honeyholes, just to tag along and catch a few fish to convince myself next time I go alone that I'm doing it right lol.

Eager to get on some specks and reds more consistently!
I fished 3 mile Bridge for the first time on Sunday AM. It was a bit choppy but I caught some trash(lizard fish, ladyfish, blues), white trout and hooked two big reds(notice I said hooked). Most caught in 20 foot of water on gold spoons and 4" sassy shads slow trolling(I would use 3" swim baits on the flats). Make sure you have tide movement wherever you fish. If I lived closer I would fish there more often but I usually fish Choctawhatchee Bay and northern okaloosa county fresh water lakes. I'm not a great fishing partner since I work alot and usually only get to fish on Sunday; but if you PM your number the next time I head that way to fish with my son I will give you a holler. Its always better to get skunked as a group.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts