Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I'll be in Navarre at the end of the month and I've been slowly getting into kayak fishing. I bought a cheap Ascend 10t for pond and river fishing and to get my feet wet (with the 10t, you're almost guaranteed to get wet).

I'm looking at stepping my game up with a more serious kayak, the issue is I'll be doing literally a little bit of everything except for offshore fishing (can't ever see myself doing that). everything else is open; ponds, rivers, lakes, inshore, ect..)

I'm looking at a bunch of different kayaks, but wanted to get yalls opinion from a saltwater viewpoint. I know the pedal drives are nice, but are the necessary for inshore?

Also, if anyone is going to be around from 3/28-4/4 and would like to do some fishing.

Models I"m looking at:
Jackson Big Rig
Vibe Sea Ghost 130
Big fish 120
Nucanoe Pursuit
SS127
RS117
Old Town predator/PDL
Native Propel

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would also look at wilderness system Tarpon 120. The Tarpon line are fairly fast kayaks-good if you have to paddle any distance.

Another is the Ride from wilderness systems. It may not paddle as fast as the Tarpon, but it may feel more stable.

If course Hobie's are always popular. They are also pricey, although I think they have some more moderately options.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
It also depends on your size and whether you are planning to car-top. Those models you are looking at are heavy and well-suited for a big guy. The tarpon 120, not so much. You have a pretty wide variety in terms of price though. I’ve owned 26 kayaks now and I can say pedal drives are better for fishing inshore. It’s hard to go back. Oddly enough, out of those 26 yaks, I’ve only owned one on your list, the native. The instant reverse of the native propel is pretty sweet but in my opinion, the Hobie Pro anglers are in a class of their own. I would also add the Jackson Cuda and ocean kayak trident 13 (2017 or later) to the list. Im 6’ and 220 lbs and my favorite paddle kayaks are the Cuda and the Trident. The center hatch is a big seller for me because I do a lot of kayak camping.

My advice is to look used and try to find a decent deal. Used kayaks don’t lose much value unless they get damaged somehow. If you don’t like it, trade up and you should get most or all of your money back

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all,

I"ll be in Navarre the 28th-4th of this month, does Broxson do try before you buy days? I"ve tried a few in fresh water, but never had a kayak in salt before.

I'm a big guy too, 6' 235. I"ll mainly be trailering/truck bed hauling the yak. Primary goal is stability, close 2nd is dry.. I"m not going off shore so while speed would be nice, it's not necessary for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I jumped around to a few different kayaks and been watching a bunch of videos and was looking really hard at the Old Town Predator PDL, was finding a few good deals used in my area.

Then I got an email from Vibe, they are running $100 off the 130 this weekend. I had looked hard at the 130 for some time and really like the design. Given that Vibe is in my backyard here in GA and the deal, I think it's going to be too much of an opportunity to pass up. I like the idea of a pedal powered kayak, but with over $1000 to play with I don't see why I couldn't come up with some sort of propulsion if I REALLY wanted it.

I know they aren't as popular with the salt water guys, but I have seen a good bit of inshore videos of guys on the Vibe Kayaks. Has anyone seen/paddled one inshore and just absolutely hated it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Vibe SG 130. If you are 6'2" and just shy of 200 pounds it is tippy. Tippy paddling, and way too tippy to stand in. Of course the military ruined my knees, but my 5' 100 pound son is just as tippy in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I owned a 2019 vibe sea ghost 130. Decent kayak...caught dozens of redfish inshore in Escambia bay. My big complaint was the foot controls for the rudder. Really mushy...unresponsive. Not really a deal breaker for fishing....as I mainly used the rudder as a skeg and steered with my paddling. Stability....it ok...but I agree with Pennywise above....it a bit tippy. I did not feel confident in standing/casting from it. There seems to be alot of these used on FB and Craigslist at decent prices. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
I owned a 2019 vibe sea ghost 130. Decent kayak...caught dozens of redfish inshore in Escambia bay. My big complaint was the foot controls for the rudder. Really mushy...unresponsive. Not really a deal breaker for fishing....as I mainly used the rudder as a skeg and steered with my paddling. Stability....it ok...but I agree with Pennywise above....it a bit tippy. I did not feel confident in standing/casting from it. There seems to be alot of these used on FB and Craigslist at decent prices. Good luck
Yes! That is something else I don't like about it. I haven't put the rudder down after my first outing in it. If it had steel cables it might be better, but the peddles feel weird too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts