Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been fishing inshore a lot in the sound in the Gulf Breeze/ Navarre area. I have been having very limited success. Is this a good area to fish for reds and specks? The main reason I fish here is because it is close to where I live and I have easy access. I'm not looking for anybody's secret spots but some tips on locations/ launch points would be great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I fish the grass flats/docks behind my house in Navarre all the time. I do very well on the trout and get the occasional good redfish out there. I do the best using topwaters right before the sun comes up over the flats and then like to use live bait for a few hours after that. The bite (especially for trout) usually dies off pretty fast once it starts to warm up.

Look for areas of broken bottom with access to deep water near by. There are some longer docks out there, and thats wear I usually find the fish. If you are out there early in the a.m., you will see and hear them busting up the bait fish. Juat paddle near there and make long casts past them and work the top water over near them. You can use shrimp out there but the little critters and catfish will tear them up also. I usually use live pen fish. I through out the minnow trap the night before and wake up to 20 of them in there all the time. Throwing plastics up against the dock area is wear I get most of the decent size reds and I tend to find the larger trout in deeper pot holes with a good current running by.

I am out of town right now but will be back out there fishing in a couple of weeks. If you see me out there in a sand colored pro angler 12 or the yellow trident say hi.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Summer fishing is tough in the sound. It's like sweetyak said, you've got to be on the water before the sun comes up. I don't know about you but I hate waking up at 400am on a Saturday to do anything. The late afternoons can be productive when the sun is going down... but then you usually have the wind to deal with. Inshore fishing is much better in the spring and fall IMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts