Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the area, thinking about renting a boat from base in the next couple weeks. Could I get some pointers on where to catch fish once I rent a boat? The rental boundaries are inside the bay from perdido bridge to bobsykes/3m

I'm a seasoned fisherman new to the area. Not sure where to begin as the boats don't have fish finders. I'm pretty open to any species.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Are you seasoned at saltwater fishing for species in this area? Just asking because theres many a way to skin a cat...or catch a fish in PFF case haha...

Anyway, if you are stuck to the bay/sound you have trout on the grass flats, redfish and Spanish around the bridges and channels, and flounder in the shallow bayous. If night fishing, fish around lights on the water where baitfish pile up...like the bridges and docks with lights. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
28,380 Posts
live bait, frozen squid hitting the grass flats or fishing around the bridge... be careful around the bridge, those workers have no clue about boat safety and 1 in articular needs a swift kick!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Navionics App

If the boats don't have fish finders you'll want to download the Navionics App to your phone.

The area across from the Base called Grand Lagoon is filled with grass flats and plenty of fish.

You can't go wrong with a quarter ounce gold spoon.

#TightLines

Attachments

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
If the boats don't have fish finders you'll want to download the Navionics App to your phone.

The area across from the Base called Grand Lagoon is filled with grass flats and plenty of fish.

You can't go wrong with a quarter ounce gold spoon.

#TightLines
Agreed - that and a paddle tail swimbait on either a weedless belly weighted hook for grass or a plain 1/4oz jighead. Swim it / hop it, drop it in the dark spots on the grass flats (the 'holes') and as the day gets on along the line where it drops from 2-3 feet to 4-5 feet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the input. I'll def download the app. Guess I'll be targetting trout around the grass beds.
Any recs for ideal depth?
Also in regards to fishing bridge pilings. Does the middle of the 3m bridge produce better than the 3m bridge fishing pier? Been out to the 3m bridge fishing pier and havent seen too many fish caught.
Lastly, I'm guessing that the sheepshead fishing at the pass is over or almost over?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I fish destin mainly, but normally just bump different columns until you start getting bites...lots of bull reds, black drum, and white trout down there. Slow trolling a spoon or diver is another way to cover more ground and have a shot at Spanish along with reds. I've had some success working gotchas near the columns as well.

As far as sheepshead fishing, I suck at it so I can't be of much help to you there, January-March seems to be when they are thick tho

1 - 8 of 8 Posts