Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pondering the idea of getting an inshore boat that will work for me being in a wheelchair. In the past I just removed the drivers seat and ran the boat from the chair. It's not too safe that way but I did it for many years in many different boats. I was younger then too.

My offshore boat was custom built with custom electric/hydraulic seating.

I was thinking about fiberglass deck boats, catamaran boats, and lastly maybe a pontoon boat.

A wide cat hull would be nice but searching didn't result in much. The fiberglass deck boats would be OK with the seating removed.

I'm not too thrilled about an aluminum pontoon boat but I do like the space and layouts they have.

It doesn't have to be a go fast boat but at least cruise at 40mph.

It would need to be able to fish docks with ease using a very good trolling motor.

Any ideas and anyone that uses these type boats please chime in and give me some ideas.

I was thinking at least 20' and bigger. The width is important.

Keith

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Pontoon. They DO make fiberglass pontoons and they ride really nice.

They are simple, fuel efficient, and you can easily re-arrange or customize it just for you.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Old Flat Head Tom's vessel, the Chico Limo is a fiberglass pontoon.
I do not know about 40 mph. He can't do that speed.
However, he may have under powered on purpose, as he uses it primarily to cruise to the Oar House for lunch.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I don't know Keith, a pontoon sure would be easy for you to get around in and give you plenty of room.
Heck, I've always wanted a pontoon. I would look at them if I were you.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
What about a hurricane deck boat. Or go to the Cape horn place in East Milton and talk to them to see what they can do. Heard there new Bay boats are nice

sent from somewhere your not

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey Keith,

Haven't seen you in a while & hope you are doing well!! Be over in the fall with a box full. I like all your ideas and will toss another in the ring - maybe something similar to a Lafitte Skiff.

They usually begin life bare bones so it's easily customizable, are pretty wide with a mostly flat deck, yet still offer a little freeboard. Not sure it will meet your requirements compared to a pontoon, but might be worth a look. They have a fairly flat bottom to get shallow, but could be uncomfortable when bay picks up.

Anyway, all the best and keep us apprised on your project.

Joey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts