Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guest coming to surf fish Mid February. We both love surf fishing but have no experience in the winter. What species can be caught then? What would be good baits for that timeframe. I should know this, but I work 7 days a week most winters and mostly fish spring and summer. Thanks for any input.....BTW we will be fishing in the Destin area and we have kayaks to deploy baits if that will help. We don't care what we catch, just wanna have a good time.

:usaflag:usaflag

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well Seems like most of the big pompano are caught early in the year but the numbers won't be there likein the spring. You will still have a good chance at redfish black drum and even sheephead. I fish the same rigs as I do in the spring.

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
all the fish listed above can be caught on sand fleas and fresh shrimp.. use either a 2 or 3 drop rig with a 2-4 oz pyramid weight

·
Registered
277 Posts
Also, if you can try to fish a East or South wind. It stirs the surf and helps the bite. You may also consider fishing the jetties there in Destin. With deep water and structure it can be a great spot. Tight lines

-Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts