Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have experience of the Advance Elements Strait Edge fishing kayak? - it is inflatable, comes with rod holders and bar for fish finder etc. and is supposed to track well due to aluminum inserts etc. I fish in Choctawhatchee Bay with a pompano 120 which I love but it is difficult to load on the car single-handed.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
I never have but I know a lot if the fish I catch have really pointy fins and sharp teeth. Doesn't sound like a good idea for a regular fishing yak...maybe an occasional fishing yak.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I owned an Advanced Element kayak for a couple of years and used it for quiet water paddling. It was the tandem model with the aluminum inserts for ends only, and it tracked fairly well, probably helped by the tandem length and tiny flexible fin in the stern. High quality, very durable. Survived many beachings...outer material much stronger than you'd think. I would not hesitate to use it for fishing. Multiple chambers are safety factor. Downside is having to completely disassembly the tubes and outer skin for thorough drying before storage.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
I was fishing next to a guy with an inflatable last summer. I could get out 150 yards before he could get out of the surf. You have a good boat, I would tru to find a better way to load it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I bought one of the Intex model inflateables a couple of years ago to run shark baits out. Thought it may be easier to carry to and from the beach when I lived a few hours from shore. My experience with it was not that great. I think it would be ok in flat water. I would suggest wading into the water then climbing in once water is deep enough to keep the bottom off yak of the water bottom. I patched it a few times throughout its life- once at a seam which never was the same again. And a few times due to sand/shell puncture from pushing off the beach. It was surprisingly stable in the water, but just not as good as an injection molded yak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for all the comments, points are well taken. The main use of an inflatable kayak may be to stow away in the car on family vacations to try and get a little fishing time in. Also the advance element yak is supposed to be durable in white water rapids up to class 111 - we shall see.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Had a man flote with me on the Coosa river in Wetumpka first rocks punched a hole in one of the bladders. finally after pulling him down river to a take out he was able to get off of the water. Looks like it would be fine on lakes or inshore with flat water, if any waves it gets floppy

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
I've got a Sea Kayak, I think its called in the garage.. Its inflatable,and Has like 3 or 4 different chambers, Never used it though..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts