Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. I have a Volvo 5.0 ford inboard motor. Here is the problem--I was out of state during this last freeze & got back today. So I go to crank up the motor & nothing. Change in a fresh battery & the starter turns over real slowlyfor about a second, then nothing. try it a few more times & just hear the solenoid clicking but no turning. I then pull all the spark plugs, try again & same thing. What can my problem be?? Can it be due to the freeze? Please tell me it's just my starter. Thanks--jared

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great--I looked at the cable connecting to my starter & it looks pretty corroded so I'm gonna clean that after work. --Could this problem be caused by cracked block or freeze plugs because it cranked up just fine before i left town 2 weeks ago?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree with the previous post; most likely cables / connections. If you have freeze damage, it will show when you do get it cranked, but as long as the motor was covered, you should be okay as it did not get quite as cold as the earlier forcasts. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
1. Fresh battery or a KNOWN GOOD one?

2. Cable endsat battery

3. Cable endsat solenoid

4. Cable ends at starter

5. Cables in general

6. Solenoid

7. Starter

8. Ignition switch

9. Battery selector switch

Cracked block won't keep the engine from turning over unless water is in the cylinder, and in which case the piston will come up to TDC and stop. Removal of the plugs eliminated this issue.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Make absolutely sure that your battery connections are tight with a pair of pliers. I can't tell you how many times we find the only hand tight, we will tighten them in front of the customer and their engine fires right up. you can also connect a volt meter at the battery and try to start to see the voltage drop, if it drops below 10 volts then its the battery. Next connect the voltmeter at the starter and note the difference in voltage if it is close to battery voltage then you would want to look at the starter. Inboards and sterndrives are notorious for starter failures.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
TMS (1/9/2008)Make absolutely sure that your battery connections are tight with a pair of pliers. Inboards and sterndrives are notorious for starter failures.
Absolutely correct....Trash the wing nuts and use washers and hex nuts.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Make absolutely sure that your battery connections are tight with a pair of pliers. I can't tell you how many times we find the only hand tight, we will tighten them in front of the customer and their engine fires right up.

Then why aren't you recommending to a customer to get RID of the wingnut's [cause that's what your talking about,but didn't say] and replace them with nylon locknuts. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts