Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brother in law is bored out of his mind with this weather. After I dropped my daughter off at school I rode by the beach to find it pretty pleasant out in the Gulf.

We load up in search of redemption after slinging the yaks in the middle of the street not once, but twice last trip.

Heading out wasnt bad, a little wind and a little swell but nothing to think twice about.

I catch a spanish and he catches a bonita on the way out. We start bottom fishing and hammering the snapper and get broke off several times.

Everything is going great and we catch a lot of fish but the wind is picking up so we call it.

I pick up a king on the way in.

We come in over the bar no problem. We jump out to walk them in because of the beach erosion left a big cliff at the waters edge.

We are casually walking them in and talking when out of no where the water goes from zero to OMGWTFBBQ in an instant. We lose grip of the yaks and they go tumbling. He hadnt taken his drive out yet and his rods were leashed. I had just taken my drive out and my rods arent leashed. I get knocked down hard and jam my finger. I look up and my yak is right side up high and dry on the beach. Two out of four rods are left and my mirage is gone. Cooler, fishgrips, bait tube, cans of grizzly and water bottles are washing down the beach.

Luckily I see my mirage and scoop and score. He, meanwhile is still tumbling in the surf with his yak. Out of all the times Ive been on the water Ive never seen it change like that so fast. I think I was honestly in shock for a second and kind of dazed.

He gets his stuff up and I am off in the water looking for my rods getting clobbered by huge waves. The water is muddy as hell but I luckily found one rod.

Total loss was a Penn 706z on an AllStar Cobia special, and two pairs of pliers. Im pissed about my rod as they dont make it anymore and it was nice. Plus those 706zs aint cheap anymore. FML

·
Squid technician
10,487 Posts
Jeeezzzzz

What do you do in your spare time? Are you building up a lot of bad karma somehow? have you run over any old ladies or children lately? Did you shoot an Albatross?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeeezzzzz

What do you do in your spare time? Are you building up a lot of bad karma somehow? have you run over any old ladies or children lately? Did you shoot an Albatross?
Dude I dont know. Its been ahwhile since Ive been fishing for my self. Last four trips I did little fishing but mostly baiting hooks, taking off fish, giving direction, catching bait, etc for new people Ive been taking out fishing. Youd think I would have picked up some good Karma by now.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Where do you launch? I fish alot in perdido so if i find your rod Ill send you a message. Sounds like jacked up luck though. Wish the gulf was still like it was before the storm. For a couple weeks there it was glass till the afternoon storms rolled in.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about more bad news JD, surely the good karma will catch back up with ya. You usually stay on some good fish with good reports, good luck man!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was insane. We were literally just walking in, no problem at all, chatting about the day. Next thing I know big rollers are coming in and just knocking us around like rag dolls.

I'm stemmin' over here about the rod. I lost it at walk over number in Navarre if anyone happens to find it.

I'm needing a flat calm day so I can go out there alone and do my own thing.

·
Registered
905 Posts
It will get better, BUT now I know why Im not getting any good fish, Your catchin em all, Hate to hear about a good rig went down, Must be a better one in your future advents, But leave me a couple O them fish out there some time. One way to look at it. ole carver

·
Registered
211 Posts
It was my first time out in your old scrambler on sunday and the rogue waves were bad. I ended up riding all the way in to the beach cause i was worried if i got out the same thing would happen to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your luck has to change eventually!! I did a double check to realize you were the same guy who lost the yaks driving.

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
I am trying to keep a mask and snorkel in the truck when I go out for days like that. I know the water is pretty dirty right now, but most times, I'd feel pretty confident about finding stuff with a mask on hand.

Sorry to hear about the gear.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sorry about the rod JD. A nice rod is a heart breaker to lose

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Damn! I think your hobie is cursed. Its time to spread some snapper blood on it and hold an excorcism.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn! I think your hobie is cursed. Its time to spread some snapper blood on it and hold an excorcism.
Ive said its cursed before and I believe it is.

Silver lining is, maybe your in laws will avoid fishing next time :) sound like brother in law has bad ju ju.
No kidding. I feel bad for him though. they last came down two years ago and we did alot of fishing in the sound. We smashed the redfish. We also did some surf fishing at pickens and did well. But Isaac messed up those plans because my spot in the sound I cant get to since 399 is closed and we cant go to pickens since that road is still closed. I might take him to three mile tomorrow. Ive never fished it out of a yak but I did see a big tarpon jump out there today on the way to the fish house as we were sitting in traffic on the bridge.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Damn man that is bad. Did a large boat pass by the beach and the waves were from the wake? That could explain the sudden appearance of the larger waves. Hang in there, you are due for an epic day of catching.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts