Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Colorado State Department of Fish and Wildlife is advising hikers, hunters and golfers to take extra precautions and keep alert of bears while in thearea. We advise that people wear noise producing devices such as little bells
on their clothing to alert but not startle the bears unexpectedly. We also advise you to carry pepper spray in case of an encounter with a bear.<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p> </O:p><P class=MsoNormal>It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity. People should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings.

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur.<O:p> </O:p><P class=MsoNormal>Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Came face to face with a bad Black Bear in the Smokies 12 years ago. I was on a hike by myself in the middle of nowhere. I was sitting oin the edge of a grassy field watching the deer, turkeys and birds. When I stood up, there was a nasty black bear20 feet from me! He pounded his frontpaws on the groundas to say 'your in my space'. Then he got on his back legs and stood up in fighting posture. I thought I was a goner!!! We stared each other down for what felt like an eternaty. Then he got back on all fours and kinda mossied off and turned around and gave me the 'your not worth it' glance. Man I was lucky. He was a bad bear. His coat was all mangy and nasty and he had little fear of me.

Two years later a lady was killed by a bear with-in 1/2 mile of where I was.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts