Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· ***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,813 Posts
For the life of me, I have never figured out the need to back down on these fish until the deck is filled with water. can someone please explain why these guys do this to this extent?

Nice meeting you over at the Cove this afternoon.
1. Because it is quicker in a tournament, back down on a green fish, get his 600# blue ass to the boat, wire him green sink the meat hooks then get back at it. Money is on the line...

2. I have personally watched tiagra 130's get dumped in seconds. Hook into a grander, or a decent bluefin and I swear you will be backing down like a champ, that's your only option. Even a 300# rat fish, hit rewind and get it done and get it done quick...

3. Their is nothing like the rush of water wetting the mesinine from backing down on a blue water monster...

Their are captains on this forum, as well as wiremen, and anglers, that can put a 500# blue marlin in the cockpit in 20 minutes, that beats the shit out of a 2-8 hour fight.

· Registered
12,387 Posts
1. Because it is quicker in a tournament, back down on a green fish, get his 600# blue ass to the boat, wire him green sink the meat hooks then get back at it. Money is on the line...

2. I have personally watched tiagra 130's get dumped in seconds. Hook into a grander, or a decent bluefin and I swear you will be backing down like a champ, that's your only option. Even a 300# rat fish, hit rewind and get it done and get it done quick...

3. Their is nothing like the rush of water wetting the mesinine from backing down on a blue water monster...

Their are captains on this forum, as well as wiremen, and anglers, that can put a 500# blue marlin in the cockpit in 20 minutes, that beats the shit out of a 2-8 hour fight.
I have never been in one of those competitions, so I'll go with you on this. I for one, would not want to fill my boat up with water. The fight is what I fish for. Go get 'em! i would however like to take part in one of these comps one day though.....

· Squid technician
10,557 Posts
Its definitely harder to quarter to a fish and give chase in a big boat. In a CC, the angler can move to the bow where the boat can turn and head straight at the fish. Peter Wright had a good article in Marlin Mag a couple years ago discussing chasing fish with the boat, but once it comes down to that last 100yds, get out your rubber ducky 'cause your taking a bath!

· Registered
3,042 Posts
there are a few capts off the west coast that are starting to change the backing down tactic on big fish. they are fighting the fish off the side and circling and getting just as short fights without swamping the boats

4,813 Posts
there are a few capts off the west coast that are starting to change the backing down tactic on big fish. they are fighting the fish off the side and circling and getting just as short fights without swamping the boats
This is the way to battle tunas, and swords. I've actually done this while watching one of our moderators tackle a yellowfin on my boat. It is the quickest way to gaff a diving fish. I wouldn't do it with a marlin, monster tuna or even a big wahoo. Those fish change direction so fast that your line would be under the boat before the fastest angler could reel up the slack in the line.

· Registered
727 Posts
There of course is a limit to how you much you can back down but if we can see the fish , we are going after him. The longer you fight the fish the more can go wrong . It is a hell lot more fun wiring a pissed off blue marlin versus one you fought for two hours and just lays there . We caught one in st Thomas I think it was four minutes from hooked fish to released fish . 250-300 #. There and alot of areas if you fight a fish for a long time the sharks will eat them.

· Neptune calls me "Daddy"
10,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why not mount a chair on the bow, then if necessary, work it back alongside for the tag and release?

Not perfect I'm sure, perhaps even stupid, but I'm brainstorming here (and it kinda hurts).

Just looking for the best way to "land" a big fish in a hurry.

Jim

· Registered
2,797 Posts
To each his own, and I think experience is a big player on how you fight a fish, the obvious here has not been said yet, but the longer you fight a fish the less chance the fish will survive in a release situation.

Like Alex said, once I see that fish it's time to go get him. My goal on each fish I plan on releasing is to release it as quickly as possible. The fish jumping on the wire and buckets floating on the deck is where its at...We had several sailfish releases last year in the keys that from start to release the fight lasted about a minute...with the kids on the rod we were at 3-4 minutes...

· Registered
12,387 Posts
Just one more question, then I will leave this alone.

Of the people (on this thread) that state “GO GET THAT FISH” and have no problem filling the boat with saltwater. Are these YOUR boats your running, or do they belong to someone else and you’re simply the operator/Capt.? Just trying to understand where the “GO GET THAT FISH” at all costs is coming from.

I’m not bashing, just trying to gain a better understanding.

· Registered
4,974 Posts

Of the people (on this thread) that state “GO GET THAT FISH” and have no problem filling the boat with saltwater. Are these YOUR boats your running, or do they belong to someone else and you’re simply the operator/Capt.? Just trying to understand where the “GO GET THAT FISH” at all costs is coming from.

i know alot of those boats the owners fish on them and have a capt run the boat...and if the owner says go get him...gotta do what the guy who pays you says right? haha

· Registered
727 Posts

Most including our situation is another guy who owns the boat. But if you have ever watched our videos it's my boss saying go get him ! When its his money on the line and all I have to do is touch the leader you better believe we will go after the fish .

We didn't have an option on our last fish , 300# fish on 30# line and 80# leader , you have to go chase that fish if you ever want to catch him.

4,813 Posts
I would like to add the boats you see backing down like that are designed just for that. The water doesn't go into the salon, nor does it go into the bilge. It stays in the cock pit and quickly empties out as soon as you stop.

You say to you it's all about the fight..... Put your hands on some 550lb mono and play tug of war with a green blue marlin, or hell grab a 50lb green tuna on the wire. Do either of them once Jim and ill bet you would quit chasing them shiteaters.....:yes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.