Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been spearfishing but seen so many photos of it and it looks like a blast. Do i have to be certified to free dive and spearfish? do i have to own any special type of license to have a speargun? like i say i have no clue but i for sure want to go sometime with anybody that is willing. I help wash the boat, pay for my part of gas, and make a new life long buddy

Thanks and i would love to talk to some of you guys so just hit me up at 931-993-0109

·
Registered
108 Posts
First of all, spearfishing is quite the addiction! You do not have to be certified to free-dive and spearfish or to purchase/own a speargun. The best thing you can do is head over to MBTs free spearfishing clinic, nextFriday.They'll cover all of the basics.Plus, therewill be abunch of guys that have boats that will be hanging out, so you can network with them a bit. http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic496998-39-1.aspxfor more details.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Blane, What are you up to now? All you have to do is buy a gun and a liscense and go shoot something. Most of the freediving here is just too deep to do much good, because the places that draw the most fish like the bridge fenders and jetties are off limits to spearfishing and the Gulf get deep real quick. Get up with my son and go try to freedive the Seagrove rock.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Hey Blane..like Josh (Caver) said...come to the seminar at MBT. They are very informative, and all the basics are covered...gear selection, dangers, techniques, ect. And as he said...youll meet a whole bunch of people ther, and besides all else..youll have a blast! Free too.

If you go...come up and say hi. My girlfriend and I will be there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you guys for the advice and i would love to go to the seminar but im actually from TN so kinda of hard to do but im down often and really want to try it sometime. And hey George been a while since we have talked but yea i will hit your son up for sure and see if we can sometime this summer

·
Registered
108 Posts
Blane,

Sorry to hear you won't be able to make the seminar. Next time you are in the area, hit us up and we'll get you squared away.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Good luck, as everyone says....spearfishing is very addicting and you will love it whether you freedive or use scuba, but the number one rule to remember is dont shoot something you cant handle....big fish will mostly want to go down when shot and wont give up easily....if you shoot something you cant handle you usually loose the gun but thats always better than your life...as a free diver you may want to look at a float system. Good luck and be safe......

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
FISHERMON1985 (1/26/2010)Where is this fabled "Seagrove Rock"?????????

:usaflag:usaflag:usaflag

Why it's down off of Seagrove beach silly!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
The bridge pilings at Orange Beach Pass are a good place to start and learn. Watch the tides and try to be there just before high tide. It is close to the beach and easy to get to, just be sure to use a dive flag when you go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts