Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fell in love today again. Its a curse, this is not her but pretty much the same gun. Montana Rifle Company .257 STW which is a bad mother trucker and a helluva barrel burner. Shooting 100 gr bullet with get this.....90 gr of powder at around 3900 fps. Dammit man.

·
Super Moderator
29,280 Posts
That is definitely a sweet lokking piece of steel!!!!:letsdrink

·
Super Moderator
20,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FenderBender (2/16/2010)Man, what a gun.. How much does oneof those run you, and how long does the barrel last?
New they run $2600, I found one yesterday thats a year old thats $1000, I held it for about an hour. You get 800 rounds before the barrel is trash give or take a few rounds.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Splittine,

That is a beautiful gun, but here is some food for thought.

I load my 7mm remington ultra mag with a 140 grain bullet and loaded hot I can get just under 3600 fps. My hunting loads are running 3450 fps and shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yrds.

I haven't tried it yet, but there is a 100 grain bullet I can load it with and probably get close to 4000 fps. I am going to try it for grins...I'll keep you posted.

My gun, ARemington 700 7mm rum black synthetic w/ staneless barrelwas $600 new at Scott's in Jay when the cartrige first came out!

Just a thought!

·
Registered
456 Posts
It is not so much the rifling of the barrel that is screw up but the throat of the barrel. The throat is the portion of the barrel where the bullet makes the jump from the neck of the caseand engages the rifling of the barrel. In an excessivley hot load the bullet will erode the throat faster than that of a normal load. What alot of competitive shooters do is before they completely trash the barrel they will have the barrel set back if it is possible to gain a little more shooting time on that barrel. By the way it took me over 1000 rounds to find my three competition loads that I shoot out of my bench rest gun. If you think that barrel has a short life you should check out 6.5 x 300 and the 6.5 x 284. If you run maximum load on some of those round you will get a barrel life of 400 to 700 rounds. That gets expensive when your shooting alot of competitions. Not to mention incuring the cost of having the thing rebarreled that often. When you figure in the cost of a competition barrel is between $350.00 to $600.00, that can put a hurtin on the bank account.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts