Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some forums that are also organizing a peacful NMFS protest. After sending letters to politicians and upsetting Mark4321 (Sorry Mark), I feel it is my duty as a Rec fisherman, to take time off from fishing for Mingos/ Groupersand Triggers (thats all we can keep right?)to show my disgust in the NMFS neglegence and ineptitude!!!!!!!! :letsdrink (The weather is not looking good offshore either)

Please view!!!!!

Now, I plan on making some sort of sign (please post suggestions) and positioning myself fairly close to Bayfront drive and the NW side of 3 mile bridge. My hopes are that a few people traveling along Bayfront or heading South on 3 mile, will notice me and my protest sign and help raise awareness of the govt's mismanagemant of our fisheries.

Maybe the shorebasedRec fisherman will gather onlandNW of the 3 mile bridge and I (we) will be just offshore to the west of them. If we get a big boating crowd, maybe we can take over the barge mooring platform out there.

Although this may sound humorus, I will be out there at 1000 till.... I hope to see you out there. :usaflag :usaflag :usaflag

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
I have been reading all these posts as well. My 2 cents (thats all I have) is that I believe the true rec fishermen/gals need to protest, demonstrate or what ever, separate from the Charter/Commercial people. My point is this:

1 - If we all (Charter/Commercial and Rec) gather in a single spot. If there is media, the chances of an interview with a Charter/Commercial guy is greater because the interview will be more impressive on a large boat, not on a 25 Ft Center Console. If the Charter/Commercial Capt. gets on TV, you know where that will lead.

2 - I think the SOS is not good and not the complete answer. Why "separate" anything. We (the rec guy/gal) need to just simply keep what we currently have! Thats what we need to enforce?

3 - I hate snapper, kind of like catching bluegills in a farm pond. Fun for a couple minutes, but after that it's boring.

again, just my 2 cents. BTW, I love spell checker :clap

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
i applaud your effort to organize a protest:clap

i would join you but this is the last weekend i have to prepare for the air show:letsparty

good luck to ya scott:letsdrink

and thank you for standing up for our rights to fish:bowdown

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
My protest will be in the woods of Alabama and Floridain the coming weeks where I will be swapping my fishing pole out for a bow, rifle, and muzzleloader toshoot deer which has an open season from Oct. 15th through January 31, one full month longer than the Red Snapper season LOL! :letsdrink

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats OK Scott.

I guess I got fired up with all the people who were saying that NMFS was wrong! I have been fishing almost a year now, and as a rookie, I still would like to keep a fish or 2 when I go.

Seeing I'm new at this fishing thing, I may not have understood everything I read, and Desperado, Enviro, Capt Eugene and Omega are correct in thier assesment of the NMFS.

I'll just keep my rookie butt out of it. Everyone on here knows more about the fishing regulation thing better than than I.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
oh, don't think your wrong....I'mfrustrated with it also

I've just stayed out of the whole fracus on here.... I have attended some meetings

but it's been a while and that's because they always seemed to do what they wanted

regardless of what angler's were saying.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
brnbser (11/6/2009)oh, don't think your wrong....I'mfrustrated with it also

I've just stayed out of the whole fracus on here.... I have attended some meetings

but it's been a while and that's because they always seemed to do what they wanted

regardless of what angler's were saying.
+1

debunking there fish stock assesments is not going anywhere IMO.we would all have to hire third party scientist in order to prove them wrong.How can you protest the government without proof.They are going to want more prooof than a bunch of fisherman saying give us back our rights because we say so and we catch alot of red snapper so we know there wrong.

I have been reading all sides to the argument here and no one has presented any kind of real world data to support the HMFS is wrong other than they just catch alot of red snapper.Can anyone cough up some third party data or 2 years of solid record keeping on fish stocks from recreational anglers.Not trying to be the bad guy here just curious as to where is the evidence from the Plaintiff

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
+1

Can anyone cough up some third party data or 2 years of solid record keeping on fish stocks from recreational anglers.Not trying to be the bad guy here just curious as to where is the evidence from the Plaintiff

from what i understand, DR Shipp is doing just that!!!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
The problem is NMFS

Will not accept 3rd party data.

Atlantic Red Snapper Assessment: "Lemon" In a new paper given to the South Atlantic Council, a former federal fisheries veteran calls the assessment leading to planned draconian regulations a "lemon" that should be shelved pending new findings The problem with the Southeast Data, Assessment and Review (SEDAR 15) assessment for Red Snapper is twofold; the early part that establishes the enormous catch between 1945 and 1972 when there were no data except the commercial landings reports and the suspect Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) data and the more recent period when the age data started to become available. The problem is that the early period was used to establish the bench marks such as Spawning Stock Biomass (SSB) and Maximum Sustainable Yield (MSY), and these set the rebuilding targets, which are very high. Since the FWS data were selectively used - only the weight caught whereas the other half of the data the numbers caught were not used. The results are flawed. Even when the selectivity issue was raised at the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council (SAFMC) meeting during June 2009 at Stuart, Florida and was addressed in part by the Southeast Fisheries Science Center (SEFSC) at Miami, the numbers caught estimated by the model still did not match the numbers reported caught in the FWS survey reports for 1970. They fell far short suggesting that if the FWS survey data is to be used (believed) the model is unable to model what had to have been at least one very large year class in the mid-60's. NMFS remains silent on this question, and instead maintains that it does not affect the determination that the stock is overfished and overfishing is occurring, thereby avoiding the issue of "best available scientific information". To support the conclusion that it does not matter the SEFSC says there have been nearly 40 sensitivity analyses that all reach the same conclusion on overfished and overfishing. This is true, except they do not mention that there also was another model run, the production model, which indicated that overfishing was not occurring (or the fact that S37 sensitivity run using a dome shaped selectivity curve that drastically reduced current fishing mortality). But this is all a matter of modeling. It is like a person buying a new car that turns out to be lemon. The person has it painted over many times, but it is still a lemon.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
<DIV align=left>More data . note the $$$$$ value of the recreational</DIV><DIV align=left>fishery.$9.1 billion </DIV><DIV align=left></DIV><DIV align=left>Bioeconomic Analysis of the Red Snapper Rebuilding Plan and Transferable Rights Policies in the Gulf of Mexico
Grant Number NA17FF2873
August 27, 2009
Principal Investigators Wade L. Griffin And Richard T. Woodward
Department of Agricultural Economics
Texas A&M University
2124 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2124
Graduate Student Participant in this Project
Hwa Nyeon Kim
Department of Agricultural Economics
Texas A&M University

A. Actual accomplishments and findings
In Chapter 1 we have analyzed three major policy tools used by fisheries managers for the red snapper fishery. We have looked at the impact of alternative red snapper management policies on the present value of producer surplus and consumer surplus not only for the red snapper fishery but also for the vermilion snapper and other reef fish fisheries. The policies considered included the bag limit, minimum size limit, and the TAC. We also looked at the stock effects to red snapper for each of the policies.
The PV of TS of the shrimp and reef fish fisheries in PV (7% discount rate) for the period 2009 to 2032 is $11.8 billion dollars. The recreational anglers contribute $9.1 billion followed by the shrimp fishery at $1.6 billion, the recreational for-hire fishery at $0.83 billion and the commercial reef at $0.27 billion.</DIV>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts