Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase the boat for 500 dollars it has been sitting for 7 years and hasn't been started in two. the last time they started it it ran. it has a 115hp johnson. fiberglass hull and i have to replace a few parts on the boat it comes with the extra parts though. Is it worth the 500?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I am all about a good deal, but I would pass on that one. At least until I heard the motor run and checked compression on the cylinders.

The 500 dollars of intial price could likely be the smallest part of your investment after you pay for everything to get it going.

Sitting up is one of the worst things for a motor. You can get surface rust on your crank bearings, rings can seize up on pistons, electronic stuff can go bad. Fuel lines deteriorate, all the gaskets in the carbs go bad. It goes on and on and on.

If you are in love with the boat, get it. If you want it just because it is a "good deal", I would pass. Unlikely to be a good deal after you get it all fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depends on how much of the work your able and willing to do yourself. If you decide not to buy it let me know please i might interested.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hey, 500 bucks, not bad. If you can hear the motor run on flusher, or even better in the water may not be bad deal. Sittingup a couple of years, well, that just happens, not always a bad thing. Somenew motors sit up too. Those older Johnson motorswere great. Plan on a water pumpreplacement for peace of mind,maybe carbs cleaned out. Buy it, spend a couple of hundred $$ to fix up, drain gas tank, new gas withsome seafoam in the gas. Take it out on the water !!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey a good deal is a good deal.Although since it is such a good deal a 100.00 is not a big price to pay to see if you are really getting a good deal.? Yeah maybe? call me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts