Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went up to my Dad's over the long weekend. The drought up there is really bad - most steams are dry and the only water around is in the farmer's cattle ponds. Most of those are way down. The temps reminded me of down here - 90-95 every day.

Hunted the first morning in a ravine with my 74 year old Dad - he still goes out with his bow regularly. We saw nothing, got back to the house and Mom told of the eleven deer in the yard, one within 3 yards of the front porch!! That night, Dad had a 4 point spot him. Man, that buck blew a lot!! I saw nothing again.

The next evening, we hunted different ends of a soybean field. I saw two out in the field, at the end away from both Dad and me. Watched them for almost an hour. One, a button buck got within 60 yards before ambling off intot he woods. As he was walking away, I looked to my right and saw horns in the woods. He was angling towards a fence and trail that I could shoot down so I waited and watched. He was going slow, took about 20 minutes to go 30 yards. The woods were thick enough that i got a glimce of him about every 5 minutes or so. I'd think he was gone then I'd see a piece of him. Finally, he got close tot he fence. I had to turn and face the tree, lift the safety strap for my elbow so I could draw the bow to get a shot. He could of come out at 15 yards (the plan) but he came out at 45 yards. When he stepped over the fence, I drew. He was quartering away and going uphill but stopped facing away from me on the edge of the trail. So I released, he wheeled back into the woods and I listened to him run back down the trail he came in on then the sound stopped even with me, about on the same line as where I had first seen him. I waited a long time, maybe 10 minutes, and started down the tree. Halfway down, I looked over towards the woods and saw a deer's tail go by - same trail. That one started blowing on the woods but stopped by the time I got down tothe ground. Once down, I looked back into the bean field - 8 deer out there! And one was a huge 8 pointer with antlers well past the ears and staring right at me. We watched each other for a while then I backed up towards the spot I had shot. That was enough to start the panic and 6 or 7 deer, including the big buck ran out of the field. Beautiful buck.

Walked over to where I had shot and looked around. No blood at first then 2 yards up the hill, blood but no arrow. Looked into the woods and there was the blood covered arrow leaning against a tree. It was getting late but I decided to see if that really was the buck going down that I had heard. The trail was spotty, good blood then 10-15 feet with nothing, then good blood. There was a well defined path and I followed it and kept finding blood. The woods got thick and while looking under some trees, saw a large dark something moving towards me. And another one and a third. I had left the bow back at the stand so I watched and saw it was a family of raccoons that went the other way at 15 feet. They had me going for a minute! I moved up the trail and looked around and saw the deer's tail on the ground. He'd gone maybe 40 yards before piling up. Small racked big bodied 6 pointer that went about 200 lbs live weight. The arrow had gone into the thigh, out and back into the gut (which blocked the entry hole) and out the far side rib cage. Great pentration!!

Looking forward to the next trip up there - sure hope to see the 8 pointer again!!!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I will agree with David!!!!

Cherish those days hunting with Dad!
and nice report...thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,592 Posts
Good story, congrats on time w/ the ole man and killing a buck!:clap:clap:clap

4,058 Posts
helo_hunter (10/11/2007) I waited a long time, maybe 10 minutes, and started down the tree.

LOL-long time? seemingly yes. actually?-no. gun hunting is a bit different-i often wont give the deer 5 minutes hardly before i go lookin for him (assuming i didnt drop him or see him go down). i know how the adrenaline and suspense is tearing at you, but with bowhunting, you have GOT to discipline yourself from going and searching for the deer for at LEAST an hour. hell, if we shoot a deer right around sunset at my place, if the temps aren't too hot, we wont look for it until the next morning. generally when a wounded deer is fleeing, he will run for a bit, then lay down to rest. it is then when the deer will often leave a big spot (puddle) of blood. often if undisturbed and if they dont feel threatened, they will die on the first spot that they take to rest. very important not to pressure an arrow-shot deer. besides, there was enough exciting college football on saturday to keep you occupied while your deer expired (hopefully?)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blue Hoo - totally agree that one normally needs to wait at least an hour before trailing a bow shot deer.... Unless you believe it was a good shot, you think you heard him fall & the temps are in the 90's. A lot of me finding the deer within 40 yards of where he was hit was luck. If I hadn't heard him fall, I would of walked over to where I hit him, checked the blood and the arrow, and most likely walked away, to come back a bit later. Always have to watch the arrow in flight to see where it hits the deer, see how the deer reacts, and check the sign to figure out what to do next. But waiting is always the smart think to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts