Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish they could..... Anyways the article says that BP didn't know who hired these people. Doesn't everyone need a social security card or green card or something to get hired?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Anybody ever considered the fact the there isn't enough white people willing to do that kind of work. I seriously doubt that there are taking anybodys job.The field of work that I am in requires nothing but manual labor. I have seen this same story over and over. Everybody's willing to sit behind their air conditioned desk and point fingers but I don't seeanybody else volunteering to get down there and work in the sunshine all day long loading that stuff on boats.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work outside myself and I have for years. From what I hear these people were brought in from somewhere else. That is just local hearsay so who knows. I understand your argument, and I too have heard it before. All of the Captains around here were even asking the BP people at local meetings where these people were from and they had no answers. I know many locals that would've taken those jobs.......... If they were offered locally

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Five Prongs Of Fury (20/05/2010)Anybody ever considered the fact the there isn't enough white people willing to do that kind of work. I seriously doubt that there are taking anybodys job.The field of work that I am in requires nothing but manual labor. I have seen this same story over and over. Everybody's willing to sit behind their air conditioned desk and point fingers but I don't seeanybody else volunteering to get down there and work in the sunshine all day long loading that stuff on boats.
Pure HORSESHIT.

If they are here illegally they are here ILLEGALLY, period end of story, no excuse.

They would not be hired in the first place no matter how damn cheap the employer could hire them for if the employer was the one arrested and heavily fined for hiring ILLEGALS in the first place.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Five Prongs Of Fury (20/05/2010)Anybody ever considered the fact the there isn't enough white people willing to do that kind of work. I seriously doubt that there are taking anybodys job.The field of work that I am in requires nothing but manual labor. I have seen this same story over and over. Everybody's willing to sit behind their air conditioned desk and point fingers but I don't seeanybody else volunteering to get down there and work in the sunshine all day long loading that stuff on boats.
I bet there are plenty of "folk" no matter what the color that are on welfare and that would be willing to have a job. I see a lot of guys on here asking to see if anyone needs any work done all the time.

Trying to get out of paying someone minimum wage is illegal whatsoever. Hiring illegals is illegal regardless of your argument.

And for arguments sake lets say that no one hired illegals at all. And no one would take said job because it didnt pay well enough. So the wages would have to be increased to make it worthwhile for someone to take said job. In the end the business either has to eat the increased labor costs or pass it on to the customer. In this case lets say its the cost of a gallon of gas. I would pay more, let's say .10 a gallon, if that company was providing a fair wage job to a fellow American citizen. I win in the end because this fellow American citizen pays taxes on his/her wages and now I dont have to subsidize his/her family with my tax dollars.

I am all about immigrants, immigrants are what built this country, we are all related to immigrants. Well, 99% ofus anyways. I don't know, I dont think anyone is 100% Native American anymore. Anyways, I just want it done legally. And if you talk to any legal immigrant that went through the citizenship process the right way they would agree.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Standrew, I said it in jest............... There were 500 or so people that went to apply for the Escrosa hazwopper classes, which was the first step in getting hired as a laborer or starting postition. I know some that stood in line and got hired. There are still ads with companies looking to hire more people.
The first wave of folks was pretty much from out of town, because Pensacola has has no work force, trained or equipped and ready to go for an major oil spill. Thats why the companies from TX, MA, NJ, LA and other states are here. They were here in two days. Some were here in one day. Same with a hurricane.

Rock on

BillD

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
There were 1,000 or more people at Escarosa 3 weeks ago applying for oil clean up jobs....so the theory that our own people wont do it is no longer an argument....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dockmaster.... I hear you. The only thing that bothers me other than the illegals and the out-of-towners that got those jobs was the fact that they haven't done any real work. I go by the city marina everyday in one of my boats and all I see is people standing under a tent. All of the other guides in town feel the same way. We all wonder why couldn't locals have been trained for this. I do understand that no one knew how fast or slow the oil was moving when they arrived, and I am glad that we were geared up and ready had the oil came sooner. I am just frustrated because my company is suffering and so are all of the other guys at my marina. It really sucks to have to file a claim with BP to pay my bills when I would rather be out on the water and sweating for my money. Not sweating about what is gonna come from all of this. I don't want to sound like a hypocrite for taking BP's money and not working like those at the city marina, I just feel for the locals that don't have many options.

·
Registered
336 Posts
yes my people are immigrants they had to pay or go into an indentured servant contract to come over here, about 6000 dollars to come here , mexicans pay nothing but drive our earned wage down to not worth taking the job , im from irish roots , to let a people come into our country and get anything they want is bullshit, free childcare free rent bus passes free education, doesnt matter what thier crimnal record is, they can live in our land tax free not have to learn the language, and have it all,:hoppingmad

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
How are they living here tax free? Unless they are being paid cash under the table they are most certainly paying taxes. The best part is that they pay all of the federal income and SS tax that you and I do but they will not be able to take any of the SS benefits at retirement because their information is fake.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
WW2 (21/05/2010)How are they living here tax free? Unless they are being paid cash under the table they are most certainly paying taxes. The best part is that they pay all of the federal income and SS tax that you and I do but they will not be able to take any of the SS benefits at retirement because their information is fake.
No one knows the exact numbers because the gov't has failed to fix this problem and probably will not in the next 20 years. However, based on what I see everyday at least half of the mexicans are paid under the table. I will give you this, they do pay sales taxes and do put SOME money back into the economy, but I will also say that I see western unions all the time for a lot of money being sent back to mexico. That doesnt include the money that is taken back in cars. No one can say that they are pulling their fair share to live in this country.

Think about this. If you illegally cross the north korean border you get sentenced to 15 years HARD LABOR in PRISON.

If you illegally cross the Afghan Border you get SHOT!

If you ilegally cros the US border you get Free education, Free Medical Care, a JOB, a living allowance and billions of dollars spent so you can live here ILLEGALLY!

At some point the US is going to have to step up and say enough is enough.

I am sure the terrorist are aware that the mexican border is WIDE OPEN. So why spend so much protecting our airports, shipping ports and everything else, when their next move will be just to walk across the border??

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
They are definately not paying federal income tax. Most of immigrants do not make enough to qualify for federal income tax. They should prosecute any individual that hires illegal immigrants to the fullest extent of the law. Take their business, home, cars, boats, pets, childrens college funds, and anything else that is of tangile value when they are caught hiring illegals. It will make things more expensive but I would rather pay more money for products then to have the mess we are in now.

That is bullshit that BP is not responsible for the employees that are subcontracted out. There should be a law that makes contractors responsible for the immigration status of the workers of the sub contractors. It makes no sense to allow this to occur in the country we live in today. This was one of the causes of the housing bubble collapse.Contractors found they could build houses alot cheaper if they hired sub contractors that employeed illegal immigrants. This in turn resulted in a surplus of houses built which then in turn drove the value of said houses into the toilet. I would love to see some of the big housing companiesget their asses handed to them due to hiring of illegals. I have a good friend that owned a masonry company for 15 years and worked exclusively with Adams homes. As soon as the mexican showed up his company went under as he could not come close to bidding with a company that the average salary of their workers was 6.50/ hour. If you punish the indiviudals that are the cause of the problems (employers/contractors that hireillegals) with a iron fist then maybe it would be a wake up call to the rest of the country. The bottom line isstop hiring illegals they will stop coming.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
WW2 (21/05/2010)How are they living here tax free? Unless they are being paid cash under the table they are most certainly paying taxes. The best part is that they pay all of the federal income and SS tax that you and I do but they will not be able to take any of the SS benefits at retirement because their information is fake.
How else would you pay an illegal?

Dont you need a SS number to open a bank account?

Hiring an illegal alien is still illegal.

When I was up in KY/TN during tobacco cutting season there were a number of migrant workers cutting tobacco. I am not speculating that any of them were there illegally but every time they paid for something at Wal-Mart it was always with cash.

·
Registered
895 Posts
After watching videos from the Valdez oil spill and how hard those people worked during the clean up. I think it's safe to say that no matter how manyof the thousands of people that applied for the clean up crews and were hired are going to be willing to do the same kind of work for $10 an hour, especially in this heat and it's only going to get worse

Case in point. If it hadn't been for the " illegles " there would probably still be debris fron hurricane Ivan, piled along the roads through uut the area. Where were all the hard working locals then? I don't care if they're from Mars, If they're willing to get out there and do what they were hired to do, clean up the crude oil, where ever it happens to be, leave them alone.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
weatherman (21/05/2010)
How else would you pay an illegal?

Dont you need a SS number to open a bank account?

Hiring an illegal alien is still illegal.

When I was up in KY/TN during tobacco cutting season there were a number of migrant workers cutting tobacco. I am not speculating that any of them were there illegally but every time they paid for something at Wal-Mart it was always with cash.
That is the point, they are making up SS #'s and their employers are paying their benefits and taxes. But, because the SS#'s are fake they can never take anything out. I am not saying that this happens with all of them but there are ALOT of illegals that are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.