Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I am..........

What would you get?

Let me preface this that my wife is hell bent on Hobie Mirage boats, so its either an Outback or Revo 11. Likely fish 50% and cruise backwaters / relax 50%. Nothing in the gulf for sure, but want something we can haul 50-1,000 miles on our 4Runner to use elsewhere.

So, for either of those boats, owning two of them:

• what accessories, turbo fins, big rudder, mirage fin cases, what else? don't need fancy things, but for example: with a mirage, does it make sense to buy an upscale paddle?
  • looking at Thule Hull a Port Pro, plus the Outriggers. Best roof system for two? don't want to trailer, but do need help getting on top of our SUV
  • who do you insure with? How much? We have quotes in the $250 yr range, is that good, bad, ??
  • All prices seem fixed, no matter where you go. is that accurate or do some area dealers do deals / discounts?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
334 Posts
Go to Pensacola Kayak and Sail and take a look at the Native Mariner and the Native Slayer. They are awesome Kayaks and in my opinion top of the class at a far better price.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are they paddle or peddle? The Boss has to have something other than paddle. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
They are peddle. More like peddling a bike vs. the back and forth of a Hobie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If you're going to go Hobie, go with the Revo. It's fast regardless of whether you're peddling or paddling. The Outback peddles ok... and paddles like a bathtub!

The native boats are good too but be aware that the Ultimate is more of a canoe and does not have scuppers to drain itself. DO NOT go into the gulf with that one! The Native pedal drive system is pretty nice, being able to cycle instead of push/pull can be better on your knees in some cases.

As for accessories, here's the critical stuff:

1) PFD, make sure it's comfortable for you to WEAR AT ALL TIMES! None of this "I'll keep it under a bungee till something happens." By then you're already in the water and it's too late!

2) Yes to a nice lightweight paddle. Carbon fiber may not feel like a big deal in the store but after a couple hours of paddling you'll feel a HUGE difference. Even with the peddle drive, sometimes you'll be too shallow to use it. Also, I guarantee you the peddle drive WILL break on you at some point so you'll have to paddle back, probably against the wind/current.

3) I'm not sure how good of seats Hobie's putting on the Revo now but the older seats were only good for a few hours before getting pretty sore. May want to look at something like this: http://www.surftosummit.com/gts-expedition-molded-foam-kayak-seat-pack-p-1916.html?cPath=299_294_325

4) Whistle, tie it to your PDF.

5) 2 flashlights; 1 head lamp and a 360 white light are good. I don't care if you plan to be back before dark every time. Have them JUST IN CASE!

That should get you started. Good luck and keep us informed!
Alex

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you're going to go Hobie, go with the Revo. It's fast regardless of whether you're peddling or paddling. The Outback peddles ok... and paddles like a bathtub!

The native boats are good too but be aware that the Ultimate is more of a canoe and does not have scuppers to drain itself. DO NOT go into the gulf with that one! The Native pedal drive system is pretty nice, being able to cycle instead of push/pull can be better on your knees in some cases.

As for accessories, here's the critical stuff:

1) PFD, make sure it's comfortable for you to WEAR AT ALL TIMES! None of this "I'll keep it under a bungee till something happens." By then you're already in the water and it's too late!

2) Yes to a nice lightweight paddle. Carbon fiber may not feel like a big deal in the store but after a couple hours of paddling you'll feel a HUGE difference. Even with the peddle drive, sometimes you'll be too shallow to use it. Also, I guarantee you the peddle drive WILL break on you at some point so you'll have to paddle back, probably against the wind/current.

3) I'm not sure how good of seats Hobie's putting on the Revo now but the older seats were only good for a few hours before getting pretty sore. May want to look at something like this: http://www.surftosummit.com/gts-expedition-molded-foam-kayak-seat-pack-p-1916.html?cPath=299_294_325

4) Whistle, tie it to your PDF.

5) 2 flashlights; 1 head lamp and a 360 white light are good. I don't care if you plan to be back before dark every time. Have them JUST IN CASE!

That should get you started. Good luck and keep us informed!
Alex
Good advice. If you can swing it an inflatable life vest is more comfortable.

·
Yakadoodledo
412 Posts
Like I am..........

What would you get?

Let me preface this that my wife is hell bent on Hobie Mirage boats, so its either an Outback or Revo 11. Likely fish 50% and cruise backwaters / relax 50%. Nothing in the gulf for sure, but want something we can haul 50-1,000 miles on our 4Runner to use elsewhere.

So, for either of those boats, owning two of them:

• what accessories, turbo fins, big rudder, mirage fin cases, what else? don't need fancy things, but for example: with a mirage, does it make sense to buy an upscale paddle?
  • looking at Thule Hull a Port Pro, plus the Outriggers. Best roof system for two? don't want to trailer, but do need help getting on top of our SUV
  • who do you insure with? How much? We have quotes in the $250 yr range, is that good, bad, ??
  • All prices seem fixed, no matter where you go. is that accurate or do some area dealers do deals / discounts?
Thanks in advance
They are having a sale and open house, and you can tryout the kayaks, at Pensacola Kayak and Sail on the 22nd of this month. I have a 2012 Native Mariner and it is awesome. Go check them out.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Like I am..........

What would you get?
I got a revolution for sale. Its a great starter boat for the mirage drive style kayak.

As far as accessories go, if you get a Revo, I wouldn't worry with turbo fins and sailing rudder. If you go Outback, I would probably use it then get them. I dont think any of them are must haves.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have both the Revo 13 and Outback. I far prefer the outback if I am fishing. It is also a bit more stable and I can stand up to see (this may not be something you ever care to do though). With turbo fins I don't really notice enough of a speed difference to matter between the two, but I would definately advise getting turbo fins for either and DEFINATELY get the sailing rudder. My outback turns on a dime with it, whereas my revo takes forever to respond to my rudder direction from a stand still and doesn't turn as good when at full speed either. If you think at all you will be going in the gulf, I would say outbacks. It doesn't hurt to have all that extra space either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts