Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there were a few other boats at the 3 mile bridge this morning, if anyone that reads this was out there, this is what happened. I am posting this as a thanks to Carson, my 7 year old son, who probably saved my dumbass this morning.

We launched out of 17th street, bad idea to start since the dock is being repaired, either way we made it to the middle of the 3 mile bridge. Fishfinder was lighting up, so we decided to drop anchor. It has been a couple of months since the boat has been out of the driveway. As the anchor went down, out came a ball or line. The time it took to sort the line the boat drifted to close to the bridge. Of course, the anchor is stuck.So now I am in reverse trying to avoid the pilings. Get clear of the bridge and aware the line is in the water, possible near the prop.( you know where this is going). So I tie the line off the front cleat and try to pull the anchor, no luck and the boat is propelled toward the pier and the line snaps back.

I've had seamanship 101 and read about the NFL players and know never to tie a cleat off to the stern. But my cheap ass was not letting go of the that anchor. :doh As I am trying to pull this anchor, the motor cuts out. Now I realize it is time to say goodbye, only it is too late. I cut the anchor line and restart the engine. As I push the throttle foward, I am near the stern the boat jerks back, losing balance, Ifell into the drink:looser

This is when my son saves my dumbass.

Now I am down a pair of Costas, a nice visor and an anchor.

Carson had been sittingin front of the helm, heard thesplash and cometo the stern. Isaid I need the ladder and a knife. Hegets the foldaway ladder and filet knife from the tackle box, sets them up.

Keep in mind, I am notbetween the boat and pilings trying not to get crushed.

Carsonholds the boat off the piling, so I can trim the motor and cut the line from the prop.He helps me up on the ladder, and that water was friggin cold.

We pull the ladder, start the engine and getout from under the bridge.

It'sHappy Meals all week for that kid. If I had hit my head on the way down, this would be my obituary on PNJ.com

Suprisingly his mom wasn't :shedevil

As we sat in the bay and I got dried off,we took thetime to explainhow to work the horn and radio.

Thanks to my boy for notcallingme a dumbass.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My dumbass ran aground yesterday in Bayou Grande. It happens to all of us. Don't worry about it. I was testing my motor and had the boat on plane when I ran shallow. Good job by your son and don't beat yourself up. It happens to even the most experienced boaters.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We all have our moments. Reminded me of the time when I was a kid and my dad hit me in the eye with a pair of pliers while working on boat steering. Or the time a buddy and I went fishing, only the trailer ball was the wrong size so one of us sat in the back of the truck and kept our foot on the trailer latch so it wouldn't come up of the ball that was too small.

Thank God I lived through those times without permanent damage.

·
Super Moderator
28,126 Posts
That could have had several nasty outcomes...... Glad you only lost what you did and nothing else... :clapto your son:clap

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
hey it happens man. just glad you had your son there to help and he did what he needed to do to help his dad. man, what a christmas he's gona have this year. good job carson.:clap:clap:clap

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
wow! What a trip! glad everyone is ok - good job Carson! Don't worry dad it will come up someday and he'll be sure to remind you how he saved your life...lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
With "jackass" in the title, I thought it was another thread about Desperado.

Glad you have smart boy. Times like that are valuable to a good relationship with your kids.:clap

1 - 20 of 26 Posts