Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at dawn, the redfish are busting the menhaden at the surface this week. This morning from the mouth of Weeks Bay out a 1/4 mile into the Mobile Bay, was solid with the cascade of menhaden trying to avoid being breakfast and those big amber bodies breaking the surface going after them....and the sky was full of birds getting the leftovers. As soon as the sun peaked over the horizon as a full round ball, the surface went dead and the birds sat down. It was a sight to see...to bad I didn't have a video camera because the action was fantastic...it should be that way tomorrow morning too. Catch it if you can.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thanx!!,,,Will have to try that tomorrow.Is right before dark any good or is it just a dawn thing?..Couldnt get bait this morning at Scott's cause there was a jubilee at mayday.:(

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx!!,,,Will have to try that tomorrow.Is right before dark any good or is it just a dawn thing?..Couldnt get bait this morning at Scott's cause there was a jubilee at mayday.:(
It is sure not the same in the evening as it is in the morning. If you can get there before light (say about 6 AM), you will see some great action until the sun comes up over the trees, then it dies off. You might try throwing a rattle trap at them but you should be able to get bait at Fisherman's Discount on 98 on your way from Daphne to Big Mouth. It is on the south side of the road after 98 turns to go east and west at Barnwell.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm having good success throwing a mirrorlure C17MR right in the middle of the menhaden. Retrieving slowly, I can usually come up with a bull red. Throwing the same thing up against the metal bulkhead, I can usually get a slot red or two every morning.

Just after it dies down at sunrise, I can usually snag one or two more by switching to a sinking twitch bait, such as the Mirrorlure SS52R.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having good success throwing a mirrorlure C17MR right in the middle of the menhaden. Retrieving slowly, I can usually come up with a bull red. Throwing the same thing up against the metal bulkhead, I can usually get a slot red or two every morning.

Just after it dies down at sunrise, I can usually snag one or two more by switching to a sinking twitch bait, such as the Mirrorlure SS52R.

Usually in november and december, those same lures work great for trout behind swan island.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts