Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just asking what you all think. Money does matter to me, but I am curious as to what combination of reel rod line everyone would use. After looking at the post of the 130lber, it had me wondering.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
A Smith AMJ rod with a Stella for spinning or Avet HX Raptor for conventional.

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
A Shimano Ocea Blue Rose or Star Plasma Jig rodwith a Stella or Saltiga Dogfight and a full spool of 80-100lb Tuf line XP

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
cliff k (3/10/2010)Just asking what you all think. Money does matter to me, but I am curious as to what combination of reel rod line everyone would use. After looking at the post of the 130lber, it had me wondering.

some kinda of barge with a winch...with stainless cable of course!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
9/0 with 200# pp and a 10' 400# mono leader. 14/0 circle, 16oz weight, with a mongo hardtail. stuck in the rod holder. no need for fancy stuff on rig donkeys.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
SUNDAY-FUNDAY (3/10/2010)9/0 with 200# pp and a 10' 400# mono leader. 14/0 circle, 16oz weight, with a mongo hardtail. stuck in the rod holder. no need for fancy stuff on rig donkeys.
I got news for you, you go ahead and fight all you want on that and when you are thru let us know how you feel. That is why they call them reef donkeys because all the pain they dish out. Those lighter jigging rods are way better on the fishermen also. They are truely amazing.

·
Registered
394 Posts
lobsterman (3/10/2010)
SUNDAY-FUNDAY (3/10/2010)9/0 with 200# pp and a 10' 400# mono leader. 14/0 circle, 16oz weight, with a mongo hardtail. stuck in the rod holder. no need for fancy stuff on rig donkeys.

I got news for you, you go ahead and fight all you want on that and when you are thru let us know how you feel. That is why they call them reef donkeys because all the pain they dish out. Those lighter jigging rods are way better on the fishermen also. They are truely amazing.

guess i shoulda put the:poke in there (joke)..... but on a serious note, you will not turn a 130 pound aj out of a rig or cut-off with a spinning reel. i dont care if its a 1200 dollar saltiga with 40lbs of drag. maybe a wreck, where you can let him run; but no rig. as for everyday fishing for amberjack, i agree 110% that the new lightweight rods with either spinning or conventional reels are the way to go.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tunapopper (3/10/2010)A Shimano Ocea Blue Rose or Star Plasma Jig rodwith a Stella or Saltiga Dogfight and a full spool of 80-100lb Tuf line XP
can you even get the blue rose in the states? ive heard about this rob but i have never seen it for sale

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
SUNDAY-FUNDAY (3/10/2010)
lobsterman (3/10/2010)

guess i shoulda put the:poke in there (joke)..... but on a serious note, you will not turn a 130 pound aj out of a rig or cut-off with a spinning reel. i dont care if its a 1200 dollar saltiga with 40lbs of drag. maybe a wreck, where you can let him run; but no rig. as for everyday fishing for amberjack, i agree 110% that the new lightweight rods with either spinning or conventional reels are the way to go.
How about I introduce you to a man that caught 5 ajs over 100# in one trip all on a Smith AMJ52 EX and a Stella 20000 FA. He is on another jigging forum all the time. Also has the pictures to prove it.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
lobsterman (3/10/2010)
lobsterman (3/10/2010)

How about I introduce you to a man that caught 5 ajs over 100# in one trip all on a Smith AMJ52 EX and a Stella 20000 FA. He is on another jigging forum all the time. Also has the pictures to prove it.
would that be Mr "Eastern Tackle"

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
cliff k (3/10/2010)
tunapopper (3/10/2010)A Shimano Ocea Blue Rose or Star Plasma Jig rodwith a Stella or Saltiga Dogfight and a full spool of 80-100lb Tuf line XP
can you even get the blue rose in the states? ive heard about this rob but i have never seen it for sale
You can get them often from a supplier that imports and sells on ebay. I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
bluffman2 (3/10/2010)
lobsterman (3/10/2010)
lobsterman (3/10/2010)

would that be Mr "Eastern Tackle"
No that would be GMan, he can fish. If you go over to www.360tuna.com and look up the post last season about the century mark aj you will see what I am talking about. You can also pm him, he is a great fella and will talk turkey with you any time.

·
Registered
394 Posts
i believe you. i said at a rig, however. and if you will notice in my first post i referred to them as rig donkeys. if you are jigging natural bottom or a wreck in 300'. you will most likely hook up from 140-200' correct???? well you have a minimum 100' of play before being cut off. the only point i'm trying to make is that if at a rig and a 100# aj gunnels you and your jigging rod bends double, with the drag screaming; you will be cut off before you can do anything.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
I will have to agree with you there, like you said then you use roddy rod holder and snatch them away from the structure hopefully.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts