Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to shark fish this morning, paddled from NASP base to langdon beach on ft.pickens ...... waves were rough and the second sandbar was definitely breaking bad.... i had a 14 in bonito on the line , do i decided to paddle in between the bars an head back was being pretty cautious when a wall a water hit me turned me 180 an almost flipped me blew my skirt and was able to padddle out and bilge the water i was feeling good though didnt lose anything and stayed upright......... 20 min later i surf a giant wave that just slingshots me ........ i looked back at a blast of water that threw me ........ by the time i looked up the the 15 ' necky was already 150' away i could feel my 80lb line wrapped on my leg but then when i saw the yak i could tell my trusty shark rod was gone to the depths ..... with a paddle leash and padddle ... spray skirt around my waist i finally made it back to the yak when i unclipped my pump my 40 dollar light also went overboard at this point i was pissed after getting the water out and skirt back on i looked down in horror to realize my 300.00 pn-40 orange gps was gone from it s mount , carabiner and all ;) that was a pretty miserable trip back to the truck
by the way if by the grace of god anyone finds a orange and black Delorme PN-40 gps on ft pickens beach it would nice to see it again someday :thumbup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i launch from the beach right after the marina headed towards the airfield from the back gate........ speaking of fingers that braid cut the hell out of my pinky an thats when i decided to let it go what a shame

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like you were walking a tight rope... pretty brave my friend... glad you made it out alive to tell about ...it good luck finding your equipment

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not sure but if your not military id call the base and ask and the c.o. doesn't allow any fishing at night so you have to be out before sunset ..... i ve had the base police drive out there to tell me i had to leave because it was almost dark

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Wow - I'm sorry to hear that. I sympathize with you. I'm not out that way much but if I am and find something will let you know.
Glad you made it back in safe.

·
Registered
947 Posts
unless you have an ID, you should not be able to use the facilities. They are not provided for general public use... But it would be worth calling NASP Security 452-3211 and ask.

Also, unless the DHS policy has changed, you are not allowed to operate a boat within 500 feet of the shoreline - there are exclusion area buoys (they look like No Wake buoys) all around the base and the USCG and NASP Security do patrol it (at least they use to...)

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm glad you are ok. I can sympathize with you since I lost 2 king outfits a couple of weeks ago around Opal Beach. The current was so strong that both my leashes broke. Hope you find your GPS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts