Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
broke my own rule, took a buddy fishing under Bob Sikes bridge on 10/18/07 we were catching a mess of croacker and small whites. I told him no matter what dont just lay your pole down or it may go swimming. I had just baited and recast when the bottom fell out, ya know rain. we ran about 25 feet under the bridge, he noticed I didnt bring my pole, I explaned I had it proped on my 15lb tackle box with a 20lb chunck of pointed piece of rip rap wedged into the bail of my spincast.as we sat their watching the rain taper off my tackle box made a half role towards the edge of the wall,Ibolted toit, about 5 steps away I watched in disbelief as my pole made like a torpedo about 8ft.straight out into the big pond. BUMMER. Just a cheap white and crome Beach comber brand, but if you catch it may I have it back, just for memories? or a story for my grand kids, :banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Banned
910 Posts
Man I sure am glad I have a drag on my reel. Just loosen it up and listen for the ZING.

Just kidding man that sucks.:poke At least you got a bite.

·
Super Moderator
12,721 Posts
That's too bad...

just ask Spencer Bailey (Southern Angler) about what happens when you don't set the drag

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
At least yours was cheaper than the one I lost 2 weeks ago. I had a big mullet head about 120 yards off the beach in gulf shores on my star 10' surf rod and shimano torium 14 reel ( about 350 bucks altogether) when a big shark hit. I ran towards my outfit in no huge hurry until my PVC rod spike split in half! I guess there was a crack in it or something, all I know is that I tried to dive on my rod and reel a couple of times and could not catch up to it. I made a big scene on the beach and used some colorful language but it didn't help me get my rod back. I guess you could say i know the feeling!

·
Registered
624 Posts
you losing that rod is not that bad, i personally have never lost a rod (knock on wood). a buddy of mine (whom was new to trolling) lost a tiagra 50w two weeks after buying it because, he did not set his drag right, the rod and reel were yanked out of his hand, and the rod and reel went swiming.

·
Registered
313 Posts
A good friend of mine dropped a 12000 spheros on a Key largo rod overboard about 10 miles out a couple of months ago. About a half hour later, i was jiggin, reeled up and had 65 pound power pro wrapped around the treble. On the other end of the line was the rod and reel. Couldnt believe it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
In my family we preach dont set it down unless it is in the rod holder. Im30 miles out and wife brings afish to the boat so what do I do set it down and helped her with the fish and turned around no rod:banghead so I preach some more no rod down except in rod holder. Sometimes you have to show them what can happen, you know lead by example:reallycrying

·
Registered
41 Posts
I lost two rods, apenn slammer360 and 460on key largo rods,in the bay when we hit a wake too fast and the rods launched out of the t-top :banghead And I wasnt driving :blownaway:hoppingmad

·
Registered
606 Posts
Dont give up hope on finding it. I had a Redfish take a Penn 965 Internationalon a St.Croixat 3 Mile bridge ,I set it down after baiting it and ther was no more than 48" of line ine the water, and allwe heard was the reel filp up and bang off the upright of the T-Topwhile netting a Redfish for a friend(I about threw up).That was in July before Hurricane Dennis hit.Then in late November I was bouncing a White Trout on a Carolina rig about 125-150 yards from where I lost it and ended up hooking it on a barnacle that was on the rod, pulled it up and could notbelieve it. I took it home knocked the Barnacles offthe reel and scrubbed it with bleach and some CLR , sprayed it down with WD-40 and it worked like a champ, the anodizing was slightly faded ,the spool above the line was slighty pitted and the clicker and the recoil spring for the thumb button soon went, but that was theonly things that were wrong with the reel. the cork on the rod was rotten an I still have the blank, its pretty beat up. It serves me right though. I had given a friend of mine shit for loosing a Penn 5500 spinning combo of mineout there in March by leaving it unattended, and he asked me,"you mean to tell me you've never lost a pole off a boat?" I said NEVER!!.. So I called and apologized......:banghead

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
A few years back we were visiting friends in Pensacola, (before I found this forum). Every time we did visit them I'd bring my fishing gear. Well I had just bought two 5500C's and we headed down. Like a dumb ass I baited my first set-up and casted it out (very first cast on the new set-up). I set it up leaning on the rail (Pensacola Pier) and reached for the second (not 4' away). As soon as I picked up the second rod I saw my first bounce (the butt) on the pier once or twice. Before I could grab it it shot off the pier faster than a Patriot Rocket. After a few choice words, I shrugged it off. Not 5 minutes later the guy next to me had "Fish On"..After he reeled for a few minutes I saw a line overlapping his. To my amazement, the fish I had on my rod had crossed his line and was snagged. When all said and done, he brought my rod and reel in with the fish I had hooked. Actually I got the rod first and I reeled in the fish. As far as I was concerned that was the BEST catch of the day for him. Lesson learned, so I can truthfully say that "I" haver lost a set-up to Neptune. You will NEVER see me with a line in the water with the rod unsecured and/or unattended. As much as we hate loosing gear, those are material items, can be replaced. Worse things can happen. My wife lost a $17,000.00 diamond ring, now swallow that one.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl8_lblFullMessage>"I lost two rods, apenn slammer360 and 460on key largo rods,in the bay when we hit a wake too fast and the rods launched out of the t-top
And I wasnt driving
"</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I always wondered why they called them "Rocket Launchers". Now I know!

Thanks.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Don't feel bad! I kicked over a friend's Mitchell 302, while diving in for hisfavorite fishin' hat. After a few swipes at the hatwith a boat hook, the rod was in the rod holder, I didn't realize my ankle kicked it in asI dove in after. I popped up in the water all happy and proud with the hat. All these arms pointin, shouting at the sinkin/sunk rod. Bummer...gone bye, bye. Down w/Davey Jone locker at the Russian Freighter.

Got the hat, but lost his good rod.

Sorry Mike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts