Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Thought it was a tube worm at first but now looks like some sort of anemone. You'll be supprised at what comes out of some rocks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It moved to where it is now about 4 months ago....it was on the other side of the rock when we first found it. It's pretty cool looking.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Kill it!!!!!!!!!!! Those things will take over if you are not careful!!! If your aquarium is new, take that rock out and drill that SOB out! You don't want it!!! Once your aquarium is established and you see them, mix up some super salty water and get you a sirange with a needle and squirt them full of that super salty water to kill them.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS put your rocks in a seperate aquarium for 3 weeks, watch them during the day and especially at night! Get all of the fire worms out and be sure you don't see any "sailors eyes" pop up. Those will spread like wild fire too. Also listen to the quarentine aquarium at night to be sure you do not hear any loud pops or snaps. This could be a mantas shrimp and if he gets into your main aquarium, he will have a hayday on your small fish and inverts.

Butterfly fish can help tame the Aptaisa (sp) and emerald crabs are good at taking care of the sailors eyes if you have problems with it in your main aquarium.

On a side note, be sure to always use RODI water, keep your temp. stable, always add your calcium at night (since it will raise the PH and the PH has a natural tendency to fall at night due to the lack of calcification of your coral at night). Always wash your hands before going in to move things and try to limit putting your hands in the water period. Never put something new that you just bought directly into your main aquarium unless you have disposable income or are a lucky person. Make sure you have plenty of janators in your aquarium as they will save you a ton of work and keep your aquarium looking good. Be sure you are using a grounding prob!!!!! Make sure your wife, maid and everyone else in your life knows that Windex is not allowed within 10 feet of the aquarium.

A few do's that I say don't do....

Don't do a 20% water change every month! If things look fine, leave it be and do small water changes.... like 5% a week if you notice some things not looking right. You will learn to know your creatures and their habits and you can tell by them is something is wrong. Do monitor things using test every month or so but it's things like your PH, hardness, Calcium, Strontiam (sp) and Iodine levels that important. Your Amonia, Nitrite and Nitrates should always be in check if you follow good aquarium guidlines.

Sorry for the long read...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info!

I have a 20g quarantine that we use before we put anything in the main tank. The only reason I didn't think much about it before is because it never really does anything. We have had that rock it's on in the main for about 6 months & it hasn't grown or spread. It just moved from 1 side of the rock to the other. I guess I'm lucky! I'll get rid of it this week.

·
Registered
261 Posts
inshorecatch- some fire/bristle worms are beneficial scavengers. in fact 99% of worms are good. The problem is- how do you tell a good worm from a bad worm (insert joke here)? So most people pull out all worms rather than risking a bad worm devouring a wanted/expensive critter.

What you need to look for is the size. Very small-1-3" worms than are slightly round with hair-like bristles are generally good, as they are detritis scavengers. However, even these worms can get in such high populations that they pose a threat on sheer numbers alone. And remember that they are all opportunist scavengers- if they smell a potential food source they can kill it! If the worm has eyes, is long (3+"), has thousands of bristles (looks like a fuzzy catepiller), or looks like in any way it could pose athreat- you must remove it. Then here lies the problem-How do you get him out of tank? Now you have to destroy your aquascape and take everything out to get the dang worm out!

As Corpsman and Chris mentioned- QUARANTINE EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU PUT IT IN THE DISPLAY!!! No joke- you will regret not quarantining every item you intend on putting in the tank. All it takes is one spore or cell or egg that you can't even see to ruin the tank.

i used to own and run a reef store for 13 years so if you have a specific question or would like to converse, send a PM.

BTW- Chris, Corpsman and Last Chancewere just some of my customers on this forumand we've learned a lot together over the years and had some good (and some trying) times. Thanks guys-Love Ya!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts