Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the ICW from galvez launch sat night around 10pm..started fishing on the dock lights and found 1 with around 30 trout close to the surface...threw everything i had at them and no luck...they wouldnt touch anything pulled out one dink redfish about 14" , caught a few croaker and some small pinfish...Hooked up one small pin on a thick rod and dropped him over board and 20 min later it starts taking off...but he spit it.

*shrugs* guess i need to go back to school and learn some new tricks....getting kind of frustrated

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you have live shrimp?try asmaller hook andsmallerflouro leader

Ortry a small mullet colored mirrolure, sometimes it will convince them to eat something.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i was using dead shrimp...didnt have any live ones. and im still new to the inshore thing so im trying to learn what to keep in my tackle box.....If anyone can give me some suggestions I also would be interested in learning to throw a small baitnet.

Thanks Guys

Mike

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I found a bunch of small ly's (3") near there yesterday. TheyWONT pass those up if you freeline with no leader or flouro. Specs won't toucha dead shrimp. Live ones work well. Shrimp looking artificials work too.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I know exactly what light your talking about.You can spend about 15 minutes around galvez with a dipnet and flashlight and catch plenty of live shrimp.One thing i have found on that light is to use a soft plastic bait and when you throw it past the light let it sink then a fairly fast retrieve.They love the gulp shrimp also,but they tear them up pretty fast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For thelive shrimp, use size 1 circle hooks, 10 lb flourocarbon leader, and just freeline the shrimp or you can alsothrow a Gulp just likeyou would the live shrimp

Try youtube to learn how to throw a net

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys ill give that a try.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I fished the dock lights near Galvez this week twice and I have to say the ladyfish are so thick I gave up on trout. But I had fun visiting with a buddy and watching the fish. Deep sixed a line with dead menhaden to no avail for reds, though someone I know had a drag screaming run from something Friday night...Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts