Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys, got tired of buying two bags of ice a day for all the beer me and my brother, aka The big German, drinks everyday so we both went in on a small ice maker.

Been working a week outdoors in this 90 degree heat. Ice bin is well insulated and makes plenty of ice, HIGHLY recommend it so far. If in doors will have to find a place e for the drain.

We paid $600 even and had it delivered but got the 4 year warranty. It runs between $514- $540.

Makes 100lbs a day with 30 lb bin. More then we need but not enough to go deep sea fishing. Maybe Bay fishing or freash water though so thought I would post a review in it. VERY PLEASED!!!!!

Will update this at the end of summer to see how it worked out in these harsh conditions but if you have a place to put it inside this thing is a keeper for sure.

Ice is hard. It has the option of freeze time so I added 5 min per drop with it being outside. Ice does not melt that fast.

·
Premium Member
9,825 Posts
I’ve been eyeing one of these myself. Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
9,825 Posts
What kind of cubes does it make? How big?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's small though
3' tall, 2'wide and 2' deep.

Doesn't take up anything for space.

If you had a big enough boat to support it it would fit real easy on your boat if you had a big enough fresh water tank to feed it.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Not to derail deeplines...
I work for the FD. We obviously have an ice machine. The maintenance man fixes the ice machine at the station more than any other appliance. In fact I got him to fix a buddies garage machine on the side. After talking with him they seem to need lots of maintenance and preventative maintenance. Unfortunately when they break the cost is unreal. This is the reason I haven’t bought one for my garage. Good luck deeplines and I hope y’all have a stellar machine.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No problem hutnflorida. Reviews have been good on this machine but I'm sure all were inside. Worked in a restaurant for two years and not but one service call on the machines we had.

The station may have got a lemon and that sucks seeing that the tax payers paid for it. I would have tossed that thing after the 3rd call and had the folks buy y'all another one. I'm sure politics played a part and the city council had there monthly dinner or some shit but couldn't buy the fire Dept. A new ice machine..

Thanks for doing what you are doing. Not everyone can.

Running it outside for two months then it will be inside. Finally moving into my house soon.

·
Premium Member
9,825 Posts
I’ve been told the key is to use a filter on them. All of them.
But I dunno.

Reactions: X-Shark

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I know that jar, Murph, the family and I were in the mountains and went to Gatlinburg and went to the Sugarland distillery and sampled all the flavors. The apple pie with the caramel was one of the best, mines already gone.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Apple Pie moonshine is pretty yummy... or so I recall the first few sips anyway.

Interesting thoughts about the ice machine. I don't get to fish enough to make it relevant but it's an interesting thread. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a similar sized ice machine but different brand. Yes, filters are a must. It feels like I am spoiled with all the ice I want. I have had mine for about 5 years now and no problems. I have it in my sub-basement along with some large deep freezers. I bought some of the commercial ice-bags and I tend to keep about 200 pounds or so in ice-bags frozen solid in one of the deep freezers. The capacity will not fill multiple coolers at once even though it makes >100 pounds a day, so need to plan ahead if filling multiple coolers and boxes.

Biggest problem we have with it. Fridge-cold beer is not cold enough for us any more :-(

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Yes...A Filter.....A LARGE inline Filter. Failure to use it....It will be doomed quickly.

I sold mine a while back. If you have it in the house.....They heavily compete with your A/C.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I didn’t know you could get an ice machine that cheap.
Would love to have one at the beach house but no place in the house to put it and the salt air would eat it up on the back porch.

·
Registered
14,736 Posts
I bought a 5yr old Scotsman pellet machine at auction 3 yrs ago. Cost me a .49 shaft key to fix it. Cost me about $20 per month in electricity but once you get used to unlimited ice - you can’t live without it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve owned a Scotsman’s 80lb, under counter type. I think my filter was $300, but I’ve owned the machine for 10 years and never had any issues. $150 just to replace the filter, but that’s not bad considering my refrigerator filter cost $45 and it seems like it’s suppose to be changed ever 3 months.

For the money, that machine seems like a deal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
love to have one, but, a cheap freezer and trips to twice the ice at 1/2 the price seems to work OK. $160 freezer keeps six 20lb bags and some bait.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have had an ice machine in my garage strictly for fishing and maybe partying since the 90's. I presently have a Cornelius 300 commercial ice system machine sitting on a 400 lb bin. I don't run it all the time........if I'm fishing I turn it on the day before and by the next morning I have enough ice to fill a 150 qt cooler with plenty left in the bin. I don't have a filter for the water. I periodically wash down the freeze plate with Nickel Safe and have had no problems. Greaat for fishing.........good ice is essential for this heat......we make an saltwater slush after the cooler starts to fill with fish and when we get back to shore the fish are firm and easy to clean.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts