Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,
I know that I have not posted much on here,
but I would like to host a tournament. I have a few ideas floating around in my head, and would like some input from you. What type of prizes would y'all want to see? More cash handouts or actual products? How much would you pay to enter a multi-species tournament? How many places would you like to see awarded? If everything goes to plan, all participants will walk away with some type of "Prize Bag", just for showing up. I am still trying to find sponsors and work out details on the goody bags, but this will take place next season (2014) to give everyone involved time to get their act together. This will be restricted to Kayak/Canoe fishers only, and a portion of the proceeds will go towards disabled vets (wounded warrior, etc) or the Navy SeAL foundation. I was also thinking about having a spot on the registration cards to have a list of different charities/organizations you can allocate for your funds to go.
I want this to be big, (as does any host) but I also want it to be fun for all who attend. Let me have your input, either here or PM.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I want a tournament to have an offshore division of something other then mackerel for a change. Heck just having an offshore division for mackerel would be nice now that I think about it.

Prizes Im not too concerned about, especially if the proceeds go to charity if the entry fee isnt too high. Also having it at a place that the anglers can partake in an adult beverage or two to swap fishing lies would be a plus.

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JD, Great idea about the partaking of the beverages afterwards. I am thinking of having a category for the prizes as "most variety of fish caught" or something like that. So if you go out and catch a red, a speck, a largemouth and a flounder, then you would be in the running for something, even if they were all under a pound each. I didn't mention it, but this will be a fresh, salt, brackish water tourney...meaning you can go into the creeks and catch stuff, or you can go out to the rigs...all fish are game, (in accordance with the law of course)
Side note, should this be strictly a CPR or leave it to the discretion of the angler?

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
$20 buy in, no prizes. All money goes to a local family(e.g :send a terminal ill child to Disneyworld). Winners get bragging rights. Puts a positive light on our growing community and helps out someone who needs the money more than us. I'm in.

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those interested in this, let me know what you think about these ideas. This date is just a reference point and is not to be taken seriously until futher notice...Captain's meeting will be the evening of Friday, June 20, 2014. There you will be given a token and the rules will be discussed. Fishing will begin at 12:01 AM Saturday, June 21, 2014 (although you are not required to be on the water at this time, just giving everyone a chance to get out) and weigh in will be at 4:00 PM. There will be the following categories for fish, with the top three scores posted in each:
bass, crappie, red fish, speckled trout, flounder, sheepshead, snapper, grouper, trigger, king mackerel and spanish mackerel.
If you catch a fish not listed, it will still count towards the "Most Species Caught" category. All fish will be photographed, and date/time stamped (I am working on providing cameras) and legal game fish can be kept in accordance with state and federal:)censored:) laws. I have set the entry fee at $30 per person. Teams are allowed, as long as you can still physically see your partner, and their scores will be posted as the team name. If you are tandem fishing with your kid (10 and up) or spouse, the entry fee will be $50. I have a few prospective sponsors, and will be working out the details with them.
What is a good location for weigh-in for everyone? I know this is PFF, but there are competitors in Mobile and all over. I am good with anywhere, but how about a central location? Would someone from that side of the water be willing to do weigh-ins and then we could have two locations?
What other input do you guys have? I hope that more than 2 people would be interested in this.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,139 Posts
Are you looking to make money or break even? Unless you have sponsors you won't. If you offer to sell t-shirts you will lose money.

It's fun, but unless you get sponsers good luck with even breaking even.

I have hosted a crappy local tournament. No sponsors, no marketing. I broke even with t-shirts twice in about 10 years...

Think about worst case scanario. Bad weather... Bonita Dan actually catches a Redfish...

Sorry... but worst case?...

Insurance?

Jim

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not in it to make a dime. I'm going to try and keep the cost as low as possible, but still have a decent program. Whatever money is raised and profitted will be forwarded to charity.

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
I think we need a yak fishin rodeo. Kinda like the Optimist and Sertoma clubs do. Outcast has one too. Lots of species, lots of prizes. Be nice to be able to place in two or more categories. I don't like the two weigh-ins thing, too complicated for the awards ceremony. A two day event would also be awesome.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
+1 on that tim, we need more two day tourney's for us yaks, we're a slow methodical bunch lol, im liking this idea tho, gotta get our team ginned up this year for sure, gonna be scouting in the mothership soon tim if u wanna come,

·
Nuttin but Yak Fishin!!!
52 Posts
This almost sounds like Kayak Wars for charity. You could model how they do it and thus avoid the actual weigh ins. It actually make sense to do it like KW since you are trying to cover both Salt and Freshwater species.

Money going to a worthy cause is always a fantastic idea however if you want to get big participation then some sort of prizes should be offered.

You might want to reach out to the guys from KW and partner with them to create an annual charity event.
They already have the structure to support your idea.
They already have sponsors and if you add in your sponsors then you might be able to get some very cool prizes which would certainty attract more participants.

I think that most Yakers would pony up $50 for a weekend long charity tournament.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think this is a GREAT idea, and I like the thoughts of profits going to a local family/organization. I like the price range as well (appreciate the $50 for tandems!!), it's quite affordable. I also agree with the categories, and like the idea of most species caught (do giant pinnfish count?). You should definitely try for some sponsors to help with the overhead, thereby giving the beneficiaries more money to help out. (I hope this doesn't come across greedy but..) What about a different division for Lady anglers? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having bragging rights against the guys, but I think it might draw in more of a diverse crowd and give some ladies a chance to shine as well. And yes, I do see the irony that I seem to be the only female yakker posting these days..HaHa! Again, thinking of you.. Otherwise, I'm all in for a tourney!

Manda
Team Tandem Terror

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes! Yes! and well okay. I already have interst from several sponsors, nothing to big and crazy yet, but so far it is looking good. The KW idea is good, and has been proven. I will contact them for help/issues. If you guys want a 2day event, then I can do that. Heck, if you want it to be a week long that could be doable as well.
HWT, I am going to have a category for the ladies, as well as a category for junior anglers, (thinking the cutoff age will be 14ish). I want the juniors to be sure and get door prizes for placing in their category(ies).
Keep the ideas coming people.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Two day and/or two weekend tourney would be fantastic and will minimize the impact of a bad weather day. Also, due to the current economy and the now unlikely event that Congress will get its act together, the lower the entry fees the better.

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, I'm still planning on doing this, so if anyone on here would like their business to be sponsors or if you want to contribute individually, (again, all proceeds are going to charity) or donate a door prize, please let me know. I have a few companies that are already on board and have sent/promised goodies. A big thing I am still looking for help with is ideas on a banquet hall or place to host the awards/recognition ceremony. Thank you again to all those that have shown interest and or voiced your opinions, and for those that have contacted via PM. It really does mean a lot and it helps more than you know.

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
I don't know how you would go about getting them on board (as far as waiving park entry fees for all involved), but Big Lagoon State Park has a nice new amphitheater with loads of parking. It would make a hell of a weigh-in/awards banquet venue. If you haven't seen it since the re-build, you should go check it out. I think you'll fall in love with the possibilities...IF everybody doesn't have to pay to get into the park.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts