Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been at our cabin twice in the last week or so....and only hunted once...:banghead....I can't seem to let the leaf blower alone,or thelog splitter(chain saw)....I haven't killed the first deer yet(been head hunting...:boo)....in the beginning of the season I was seeing deer everytime in the stands,... now... when I go, not seeing anything.....thinking I may have hunted to much....but I haven't got busted by the deer yet.......Now its rut and I just can't seem to get the drive (to hunt)back....I sit in the stand and think of all that needs to be done, and here I sit waiting for deer that I'm not going to harvest yet.....due to head hunting....:boo....:letsdrink:letsdrink:doh

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
I don't know how old you are but I'm guessing it's age.

When I was younger, I was a killing machine. I would go anywhereto hunt. I would spend the night in the truck at the gate at St. Regis before opening day so I could be sure and get my spot.

I'dleave the houseat 1:00 amand drive to Fort Deposit Alabama so I would have time to get out in the woods , put up my stand and sit in the dark for an hour.

I'd load crap in a jon boat and go across the channel to St.Vincent's island and camp for a 4 day bow hunt.

And I would shoot anything decent with horns.

As I got older, I just don't care as much. I'm more into comfort and having fun. It's no longer an obsession. If I'm at the camp and there's a good game on, I won't hunt that afternoon.

Used to, I would sit in a driving rainstorm to hunt. Not anymore.

I've killed a bunch of nice deer over the years and it's just no longer priority number one. Enjoying myself is.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The work will never go away (year-round)...hunting season ends seemingly quick. So, take a couple weeks off from hunting and come back ready to hunt, not work. It would be hard for me to take off from hunting during the rut though.

You can head hunt and still fill the freezer. Thats what I do. Shoot3 or 4 or 5 (whatever)of them does you've been feeding all year. That will get you some meat for the year while still waiting for big boy.

Be patient...its called hunting, not killing. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Bill I feel your pain, I am head hunting right now as well with modern gun opening tomorrow, I have two spots that I have not even gone near. I seem to do the best when I am in thought and meditation. They just seem to appear when i am not really doing anything like hunting. Just go out there and remember why you are there, it is not about the killing as much as it is about the peace of mind. Bagging a deer is just the bonus, getting away from everything else is the real pay off. Get out there and stop hunting and start enjoying, the next three days for me are heaven if I can manage to not get shot by some yahoo that has no idea what he is doing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bill,

Do you hunt with anyone, I think thats my problem. I more enjoy the stories and companionship in the woods than just going out hunting. I don't have that here in Florida and can't find it. I can't believe I'd rather lay around the house than go to the woods sometimes. When I hunted at home (Pa.)it was a part of life just as important as work and I looked forward to it from the day after closing season. When all my friends would come to the house or to the camp nearby, we had the best dam times ever, talking about the day and where we would try next and mostly the goofing around and hitting the town we did. Now its just walkingaround in the woods wishing of how it could be, only if...

I hope you get it back.

Roy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts