Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a difference between the belts on marine engines and auto? I have a GM350 running in my grady and the Power steering belt needs adjustment before every launch and about every 2 hrs of running.. any thoughts.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Buy Gates "green Stripe" belts. O'rileys auto parts sell's them, but you may have to order them to get the "Green Stripe" series.

These are rough service belts. The City of P'cola use to put them on all the Cop cars when they had V belts on them. [Surpetine belts now]

They may need 1 adjustment after newly installed, but good to go then.

It's the only belts I put on my stuff. There is a LOT of Junk imported belts out there.

Rust on pulleys can be a problem with boats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The belt tension system on these motors aren't very reliable. check all belt driven accesory brackets for damage or broken parts. Also make sure one of yor pumps isn't starting to seize. Did you check for proper fluid level in the power steering. Is the belts getting wet when running, causing it to slip???

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_lblFullMessage>
I have checked the fluid level it is good and has no leaks anymore I had a line crack a while back but replaced it and have had no other issues. as for it geting wet. I do have a leak somehwere in my bilge but the pullys dont seem to get wet. the brackets seem good and solid.this is the only belt I have issues with my Alt belt is good and have had no slippage on it so im thinking that I may pull the pullies and have them powdercoated. I was told that this may help with them rusting.I am still trying to figure out where all my leaks are they are slow but I know of one in the aft(engine area) bilge and one in the forward bilge. I think the forward is around one of my threw hulls. but due to the build og the boat I cant see them I try and try but no luck yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts