Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need a new printer. I am thinking i want a printer, scanner, copy, fax. all in one. I will be printing about 10 to 20 things a day 4 days a week. What brand/model ect would you all recomend?I figured alot of people use them at work or for work so i wanted to see what brand everyone else isusing. Iwould be using black ink most. But there are so many differentbrands and styles now so im lost. I had a lexmark printer, scanner, fax, coppier all in one and the ink died in a few weeks. So lets hearwhat everyoneuses and what not to get. Alsodoes anyone know someone that has the hook up on printers?

Thanks for the help....

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I recently purchased a HP F448 from Staples for about $85, and it seems to be a good combo. Printer, Scanner and copier all work great. I later saw a similar HP at Walmart that was $10 cheaper.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Go laser. The toner is a little more expensive up front but at the rate you are printing they will last forever. The prices of the printers have came down a lot in recent years to where they are affordable.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Before you commit to one, check pricing on refill cartridges. sounds like you will be using a lot of ink.

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
I use a Dell laser printer ( 1720 is the number I think) at work (teacher) and the toner cartridge lasts a long..long time. When documents start looking faded I take out the cartridge and give it a good shake and it's good to go. I am using one now that is going on it's second school year. I print a lot of stuff on a daily basis. Love it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I got a Lexmark X5470 at Sam's about a years ago that does it all, printer, scanner, copier, andFAX. Even has memory slots to download photos. $85 They have a similar one at Wal Mart.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sosmarine (1/25/2010)I got a Lexmark X5470 at Sam's about a years ago that does it all, printer, scanner, copier, andFAX. Even has memory slots to download photos. $85 They have a similar one at Wal Mart.
I looked at that one at sams yesterday, and a couple of the hp printers.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another thing i need to figure out is, I want to get a printer that i can take the cartridges to wal greens and get them refilled for $15.00. So that comes in to play. A friend of mine bought one a few months back from best buy and they told her this was the best printer in her price range. Well if her blue ink goes out she cant print anything, she has to get a new blue ink and she cant refill it at wal greens.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I don't if the carts for the Lexmark are refillable or not. The numbers are 32 (black) and 33 (color). New I think they cost @ $42, but last a good while.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
GENTLE WOLF (1/25/2010)Go laser. The toner is a little more expensive up front but at the rate you are printing they will last forever. The prices of the printers have came down a lot in recent years to where they are affordable.

+10000000000000000000000

Stay the hell away from Ink Jet or Color laser for your primary printing machine!!!They make cheap printers so they can jack you up on the refills!!!

Laser toner cartridges are way cheaper in the long run, don't smear, quicker, look better. The most economical printing you can do. I like my brother mfc-7840w. Its wireless. I do not have it attached to a computer at all. I have 6 pcs in my house and they all print to it wirelessly.

If you have a need to occasionally print color, I just print a pdf of the document and take it to fedkinkos and get it done for 49 cents a page. Or get a cheap separate color printer and only use it when you need color. Printing black and white on a color printer makes absolutely no sense financially.

·
Registered
13,754 Posts
choppedliver (1/26/2010)
GENTLE WOLF (1/25/2010)Go laser. The toner is a little more expensive up front but at the rate you are printing they will last forever. The prices of the printers have came down a lot in recent years to where they are affordable.
+10000000000000000000000

Stay the hell away from Ink Jet or Color laser for your primary printing machine!!!They make cheap printers so they can jack you up on the refills!!!
I have an HP J4580 All-In -One. I change the ink caritages about once a week. $85.00 printer, $40.00 for ink. My company pays for it, so it does not matter to me. They told me to just go get a cheap HP printer.

But if I was the purchasing agent, I would spend more for the printer and get laser. My last laser was purchased in 1994 and then replaced in 2006, only because the new computer did not recongize it. New toner about once a year for $85.00.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
BananaTom (1/26/2010)
choppedliver (1/26/2010)

+10000000000000000000000

I have an HP J4580 All-In -One. I change the ink caritages about once a week. $85.00 printer, $40.00 for ink. My company pays for it, so it does not matter to me. They told me to just go get a cheap HP printer.

But if I was the purchasing agent, I would spend more for the printer and get laser. My last laser was purchased in 1994 and then replaced in 2006, only because the new computer did not recongize it. New toner about once a year for $85.00.

Ouch! $160 a month for INK. That would pay for a new laser printer in two months!

·
Registered
13,754 Posts
choppedliver Ouch! $160 a month for INK. That would pay for a new laser printer in two months!

That is why I posted, I do not pay for it, my company does. But those cheap $85.00 printers are not meant for heavy usage, as the ink will pour out of them, and I do use mine allot. So in heavy usage application, buy as good laser.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Everyone has their opinion of course, mine is:

--No color printer prints black and white as good as a black and white laser printer.

--No color printer prints black and white as cheaply as a black and white laser printer

And since you can get both color and b&w for very cheap nowadays, if you have the need for both color and black and white, get the best one for each task.

I have my old inkjet I hardly ever use, and my b&w laser. Total cost about $375 for the both of them.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The price of the printer is really the least of the concerns. The cost of the ink is where you can run into some $$$. Unless you?re printing things that you need exceptional quality I would go with the one that would save me the most in ink.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts