Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,611 Posts
Pinksnappercatcher (9/24/2009)
BananaTom (9/24/2009)
Pinksnappercatcher (9/24/2009)can i lay the fridge on its side or will this screw something up?
No, Never lay a refrigerater on its side, the oil in the compressor will travel to the top and it will lock up.
How long would it take to do that? How long would it have to lay on its side and how long would it run for afterwords?

You can lay it on its side for a very short amount of time ie. driving from to. Its not recommended to do so at all. If you have to put it on its side wait at least 24 hours to plug it in. Where are you taking it to, a refrigerator is a fairly simple thing to diagnose and fix.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Im not taking it any where. When i picked it up two months ago when we set it in the back of the truck i set it on its back for a min then got in the bed of the truck and stood it back up. But i think i came home and plugged it in. It was only on its side for 30 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
19,611 Posts
I havent read this whole thread, but chances are if the compressor is not running you have a bad defrost timer or starting components, if it is running it could be a few things like low of refrigerant, dirty condensor coil, evap fan not running, condenser fan not running,etc.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Splittine (9/24/2009)I havent read this whole thread, but chances are if the compressor is not running you have a bad defrost timer or starting components, if it is running it could be a few things like low of refrigerant, dirty condensor coil, evap fan not running, condenser fan not running,etc.
Is there anyone that would come by and take a look at it for me? Let me know thanks,

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Here's a kind of a crazy fix but it worked for me.

Get some big strong guys to help.

FLIP THE FRIDGE ON IT'S TOP and let it stay there overnight.

This forces the freon and whatnot to mix up or something.

Flip it back up and it should work for a while -- mine worked over 3 years after I did this.

An old dude in the appliance repair biz told me this one. He used to do this to the old fridges he picked up on trade or as junk, then resell them cheap. With a 90 day warrenty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Call the shop in the morning at 8:00 and I'll see if we can help 251- 928- 3163. Please don't turn it upside down or you can lay it on it's side as you are taking it to the dump. You'll end up with an oil logged evaporator and a locked up compressor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My GE would cool after a manual defrost, twice I have replaced the defrost heating coil, it runs like a champ after that. GE recently modified the coil from a single to a double element.

This will not help you if you have gone through a manual recycle with no good results.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/

These folks have a help line for DIY folks, this where I bought my parts from. They are in Jax and the parts get here UPS overnight w/o extra charges.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I really need help trying to figure out whats wrong. I dont know much about fridges. I have had it unpluged for a while now with the doors open. Is there anyone that can help me try to figure this out.

I post about my washer and had a bunch of people that said they would come over and try to help me figure it out. I think i fixed it today but i really really need to fix the fridge. Anyone????

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
Actually - I was once a sears service technician, about 20 years ago, I ran the refrigeration route, window units, central air,freezers and refrigerators. They have changed some in the last 20 years some what.

But I would be happy to come over and take a look.

Do you have a meter?

If not I will need to go home and get one and do it another day.

If so, I could pass by tonight as you are not far from my office.

Let me know.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sorry Tom, I just read your other post where you were trying to get a topic to the second page.

Now, i dont think i have an ohm meter but my neighbor might, When you leaving work? Ill go ask him and get back with you in a min.

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
Pinksnappercatcher (10/20/2009), When you leaving work? Ill go ask him and get back with you in a min.
A couple of minutes have passed and I am leaving work. It will give me time to dig out my refrigeration tools and place then in my trunk. I will be available Friday after work, if that works with you.

See Ya.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts