Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a GE fridge and it has been fine, keeping drinks real cold and the freezer has be ok. Well today i went out to get something out of the freezer and my ice cream sandwich's were melting. I opened the fridge and it wasn't as cold as it usually is. This was at 10am, when i got home from work at 6 pm the drinks where still a little cold but had condinsation on them. So the freezer isn't cold anymore or the fridge. Does anyone have any idea's or is there anyone that could help me out. Someone gave me the fridge and its in really good condition so i dont know how it could be broke. I live off Scenic hwy near olive road. Thanks for the help, Joe

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Empty it and unplug it. Leave the doors open all day to manually defrost it. Plug it back in and see if it works normally again. If it does, it is most likely bad defrost timer.( this is a cheap fix............ Marcone parts on Pace Blvd.)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
first, is this an inside or outside fridge?

when you unplug and defrost like stated above, it can take a full day to get completely back down to temp so be patient. I have an older outside fridge that will occasionally get left with the door ajar and it can take overnight for it to get back to a normal temp especially if its and older model. they will build up ice on the coils and not cool as well as they were previously......that's the reason for the full defrost/deice like stated above.....also be sure to check/clean the coils, especially if it's a garage unit as that can greatly hinder the cooling if it gets too bad.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is in my utility room. It doesnt have ac but its not hot either. I unpluged it yesterday at 6pm and its been off all night. I didnt leave the doors open. Should i leave the doors open today and plug it in tonight?

Ps: Are the coils on the back at the bottom? IF thats them i vacumed them out when i got the fridge. I got it from work about 2 months ago. It was fine up there, never had any problems out of it.

Thanks for the help so far.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Pinksnappercatcher (9/24/2009)It is in my utility room. It doesnt have ac but its not hot either. I unpluged it yesterday at 6pm and its been off all night. I didnt leave the doors open. Should i leave the doors open today and plug it in tonight?
Yes, you should know by tomorrow morning if it's working.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Mine does the EXACT same thing.........after a month or so it gets ice all over the coils and will not cool anymore, defrost it let it all melt off and I am good to go again, so a defrost timer huh, where are they located on the fridge and how hard to R&R ????????

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
The coils that freeze up are inside the freezer compartment and hard to get to. The defrost timer is usually located behind the removable grill in the front bottom of the fridge it will have a round knob usually with a slot in it. The round protruding knob will rotate if working. Turn it on and look at the slots position, go back a couple hours later and look at the slot and see if it moved. If it moved the timer MOST LIKELY is working but could still be bad. Panhandle appliance on old Corryalso has the timers.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just plugged it back in, but i dont think it is getting cold. It could just take it a little bit, but i dont feel any cold air inside the freezer. It is making a Hmm noise. What should i do?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hey Joe,

I cant believe no one has already gone here. DId you save the poor samiches. Just the thought of an Ice Cream samich going to waste is distressing. Please tell us you saved em in the other fridge.:doh

I hope everything works out for you and the fridge really. You have gotten some real good advice here. I can personally speak to the service at Marcone. They are good folks that have always been willing to help me. I just go in tell em what I got and what my problem appears to be and the parts are normally pretty inexpensive. The most expensive thing I have had to purchase was the element for my dryer.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Feel the compressor, and see if it is running, when you hear the hum. If the compressor is humming and feels hot, and not cooling, it could be bad valves or locked rotor in the compressor. If it is not hot, and the humming is not coming from the compressor, it could be the timer, stuck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This may help speed up the diagnosis. Make sure the evaporator fan is running on the freezer side and also the compressor is running. You should be able to hear the compressor if it is running - it is located underneath the fridge. Check this and we'll go from there. I can probably talk you thru this if needed just let me know

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was plugged in for a couple hours and no temp change. When i got the fridge i plugged it in and it started getting cold instantly.

There is a fan in the back that is on and every now in something kicks in for a min but goes right back off. Im lost if anyone knows what i should do it would be great.

Where is the compressor? to check and see if its hot.

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
Pinksnappercatcher (9/24/2009)It was plugged in for a couple hours and no temp change. When i got the fridge i plugged it in and it started getting cold instantly.

There is a fan in the back that is on and every now in something kicks in for a min but goes right back off. Im lost if anyone knows what i should do it would be great.

Where is the compressor? to check and see if its hot.
Look to see if the fan underneath is running, the compressor is located under the refrig. as well.The clicking could be the compressor trying to come on. It is black and the biggest underneath. The major thing, is the compressor hot? It could also be the capacitor for the compressor. But both fans need to be running, the one in the freezer and the one under to cool the condenser coils.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BananaTom (9/24/2009)
Pinksnappercatcher (9/24/2009)can i lay the fridge on its side or will this screw something up?
No, Never lay a refrigerater on its side, the oil in the compressor will travel to the top and it will lock up.
How long would it take to do that? How long would it have to lay on its side and how long would it run for afterwords?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts