Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fished Orange Beach for over 20 years, and have my own boat. For most of this time I have trolled for Kings, and Spanish during the warm months using frozen cigs behind dusters and trailer hooks with pretty good results.
In Winter months I troll with Mann's 25+ and 30+ lures for Bull Redfish with good results. Since the oil spill my normal techniques don't seem to be working. My last 4 trips to Orange Beach have been very disappointing. I know I am not fishing as often or as hard when I am there, because I have been having such poor results.
I have used all of my basic excuses like:
Wind from the east, fishing the least
Water to rough
Fishing after a cold front is tough
To much rain has water muddy
To many boats
Oil spill has hurt the fishing
To hot
To cold
I don't feel good

Basically I am just discouraged!
I don't see many birds feeding, or fish on the surface.
Am I just crazy, or have the fish not been biting as good since the oil spill?
Help me, I have run out of excuses.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just bad timing, I have noticed the same trend in my freshwater fishing since I started focusing more on saltwater.

·
VIP of the PFF
8,468 Posts
If you need some new excuses just pm Bodupp. He can hook you up with some really high tech scientific sounding stuff. I just blame my haters and their voodoo .

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I have fished Orange Beach for over 20 years, and have my own boat. For most of this time I have trolled for Kings, and Spanish during the warm months using frozen cigs behind dusters and trailer hooks with pretty good results.
In Winter months I troll with Mann's 25+ and 30+ lures for Bull Redfish with good results. Since the oil spill my normal techniques don't seem to be working. My last 4 trips to Orange Beach have been very disappointing. I know I am not fishing as often or as hard when I am there, because I have been having such poor results.
I have used all of my basic excuses like:
Wind from the east, fishing the least
Water to rough
Fishing after a cold front is tough
To much rain has water muddy
To many boats
Oil spill has hurt the fishing
To hot
To cold
I don't feel good

Basically I am just discouraged!
I don't see many birds feeding, or fish on the surface.
Am I just crazy, or have the fish not been biting as good since the oil spill?
Help me, I have run out of excuses.
Not the oil spill. This year, there is not as much bait as normal. Less big menhaden, which translates to less small menhaden flushing out of bayou, less LYs, less cigar minnows. Combination of things. Too much fresh water, water temp, I'll have to check, but seems like this is the low end of the 7 year cycle.

All salt water species run a 7 year cycle. Hit a low point, build up for about 3.5 years, then start a decline for 3.5 years, give or take...over and over again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts