Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 21 year old Nissan is slap worn out. It has been the best vehicle I've ever driven. I bought it with ~80,000 miles on it when it was 3 years old. I paid $2000. The odometer hit 999,999 more than 3 years ago. It has been cheap transportation.

Right now, the timing chain cover has a really bad leak. I replaced the timing chain many years ago and it cost me close to 1000 back then. Sooo, repair is out of the question.

Which small truck would you buy? Certainly not a new one for me, at my age. I may wind up buying a car but I'd sure miss the handy pick-up. I looked at an '08 ranger with 90,00 miles fir $5000 until I realized it was a 5 speed.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Get another Nissan. I had an '01 Frontier, and it ran like champ. After 14 years, sold it and bought a Wrangler - total piece of shit. Traded the Jeep in for a '14 Frontier and it's a very comfy and capable. The cab even feels roomier than the new Tacoma, Colorado, or Ranger. I bought mine off lease, LS model with 6K miles real cheap.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joel, I'd absolutely take you up on that if I lived up there.

On this truck, I'd replace the timing chain too because once you get to the gasket, changing the timing chain is a logical thing to do. From all accounts, this is a pretty big job. I paid around $1000 for the job 17 years ago. I had the same big leak so I went ahead and did it right when the truck had about 250,000 on it.

With everything else on the truck plumb wore out, I doubt if it is worth fixing.

I darn sure appreciate the offer, though.

Since I got you laid in my tale, you do owe me one, however. Naah!

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,845 Posts
CaptK, are you saying there's over 1,000,000 mi on the truck?

Nissan might be interested in the vehicle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you go with another Nissan Frontier, I'd go with a 2011 or newer. Prior years were more prone to issues...some minor, some major. Read up on the transmission/radiator fluid contamination issues on the 05-10 Frontier (strawberry milkshake of death). Also the timing chain issues for 05-09 I think.

The '11 and up are supposed to be pretty solid. I have a '14 with the V6, 76800 miles and no major issues yet.

Most common issue I hear of (all years) is blown rear axle seals due to clogged axle vent...a cheap arse $7 part. Easy to replace every so often or do a very well documented breather tube modification.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts